Level 5
266 229 3 29
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Controlling the CPU Fan

HP Recommended
Compaq Presario S5160UK
Microsoft Windows XP

Can anyone tell me or explain what the "native" method of controlling the CPU in an Presario S5160UK, BIOS = Award? 3.25 v6 please ?

When I power up the fan seems to be given an impulse and it starts, but instantly it seems that the power is removed from the fan, but the system boots up normally.

Unless I use third party fan controlling software, the fan does not come on again and the system eventually turns itself off.  If I use MBM5 this tells me that the temperature is 60C before the fan starts up  This is higher than I like, so I use Speedfan, with which I can reduce the temperature to <40C.  Even so, during boot, the temperature rises to >50C before Speedfan can become operational.

A real problem comes when I want to use software that boots from CD and which doesn't have access to third partys fan-controlllng software.  The computer turns itself off during the procedure which is taking place (such running SeaTools for DOS).  The heatsink fins have become too hot to touch.

I fear damaging my my CPU, a 2.7GHz celeron (SL77U)

Can anyone help with this old model ?  Is the problem the BIOS, or the hard-wiring built into the main board (Microstar MS-6577 v2.1, HP p/n 5187-3670 ?

Woodwood

21.March.2017

9 REPLIES 9
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Woodwood,

Still having that problem (refer to your posting 08-2013).  I would suggest you purchase a  case fan that matches that unit.  HP has removed most documents, and there is little left on-line.  Nothing on the motherboard. Do you know the product number (off the sticker). 

You have SpeedFan.  What is the nominal RPM.  Is that a 3 wire fan?  or 4 ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Woodwood
Author
Level 5
266 229 3 29
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

->wb2001, and thank you for your attention

Maybe it's the same problem, maybe not.

I thought I'd I'd soved it - wouldn't boot -> solution : upgrade PSU

Ruuning too hot -> solution: install speedfan

Do you mean case fan or CPU fan ?  The computer came with only one fan, above the CPU HS, and seems inseperable from that - it is a cooler.  I have installed a 92mm exhaust case fan but I don't use it at the moment beause the side panel of the case is removed, so it would just be taking air from outside the case, and immediately exhuasting it, without it passing through the computer,

Maybe a solution to overheating when running from CD program is to connect the fan to a PSU connector (12V) and operate it full-on all the time (leave the 'sense' pin open) ?

The solutions mentioned above still work if running XP.  They are treatments for the symptom not for the cause.

The use of speedfan implies that the CPU fan is functioning and it's the built-in control mechanism that isn't working

When in XP speedfan gives the speed of "fan 1" (which by observation is the CPU fan) mostly as 3516 rpm (not absolutely certain I've set up speed fan to give the absolute correct values), though does sometimes read higher, rarely lower, except when set to a low level that it stops turning at all - reads 0.

The fan is a three pin one by AVC, 25mm deep by 70mm sq., I think 9 blades, could be 7.  It draws air through the sides of the HS and exhausts it directly towards the removable panel.  Hence it must be on or off, with no PWM or variable voltage control implemented in the unmodified system.

Motherboard is a Microstar MS-6577 v2.1, HP p/n 5187-3670.  Can't read the label on the fan, and didn't get the service manual before it was removed (if it was ever there).  I think I may have the CPU fan numbers somewhere: I once looked for the fan on the AVC website, but it wasn't there.  The cooler is the stock HP one, tens of scket 478 coolers available still; I've got other identical coolers in place on other MS-6577v2.1 m/bs and even a sckt 7478 intel stock cooler (may not fit, never tried it)

Woodwood

21.March.2017

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Woodwood,

Here is a 70mm fan.  3 wires.  RPM is correct.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Woodwood
Author
Level 5
266 229 3 29
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

->wb2001, thank you for that link.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have several fans of the ~ correct spec.  I did mention that the fan seems inseparable from the heatsink ?  (It is not attached by screws/bolts)

Woodwood

21.March.2017

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Woodwood,

If the fan resides on top of the heatsink, it should have screws. Look down into the hole.

fan screws.JPG

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos
Woodwood
Author
Level 5
266 229 3 29
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

->wb2001

Thank you for identifying this component.

I still do not think it would be suitable because I believe the fan on my heatsink is not held there by screws: I am unable to see into the holes to verify this unfortunately.

But not a cross head screwdriver, nor a standard one, nor a hex haed (Allen) fitting is able to gain the slightest purchase at the bottom of the hole.  I think that the heatsink and fan are held together by those rubber pins.  In any case, I am unable to see where the end of of the fastners emerge in the heatsink, if they emerge at at all (if screws they might screw into the the Alumium of the h/s.) 

Unfortunately, I do not have an identical CPU cooler: the ones I have are are all of a slightly different design.

Woodwood

6.April.2017 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  When I power up the fan seems to be given an impulse and it starts, but instantly it seems that the power is removed from the fan, but the system boots up normally.

This is "normal" -- the fan spins at 100% of its capability, to "prove" to the motherboard that it is working, and to "calibrate" the motherboard as to the maximum RPM.

>  If I use MBM5 this tells me that the temperature is 60C before the fan starts up 

Can you enter BIOS SETUP, and look for any "temperature" settings -- especially one that currently is set to '60' ?

0 Kudos
Woodwood
Author
Level 5
266 229 3 29
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

->mdklassen

Thank you for your post on this subject, which demonstrates that you understand what is happening.

I did not remember a time when I believed the fan control was working properly !  Thank you for telling me that it is usual for for the fan to start up on booting, but to stop after after short period (about 1s) and for the computer to continue booting.

I have looked in the BIOS set-up for any temperatures but I can't remember finding any.

I had thought I could set a temperature in MBM5, but I looked and and couldn't find how it was done; certainly the 'alarm' temperature is set to 60C. I seem to remember setting this at some point in the past, but I can't work out how I did it, if indeed I did set that temperature. (This is nominally the processor temperature, but I don't know where the sensor is:  it is not a junction termperature within 'core' of the CPU, as on latger P4 and 'core' CPUs, but it might be a discrete sensor inside in the CPU 'can') .  The max. core temp for this CPU, SL77U, is 67C.  I would prefer to keep the CPU at a much lower temperature.  Both MBM5 and Speedfan can only be started after the computer has started up and booted into XP

Speedfan will also turn the fan on, and I use this a lot because it enables me to run the fan at any  temperature I like 

Woodwood

22.July.2017

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I don't know where the sensor is ...

I have seen old Pentium 3 (and 4) motherboards where the temperature sensor for the CPU was in the centre of the CPU-socket. The pins on the CPU formed a square "perimeter", i.e., no pins in the middle of the CPU chip that would contact the sensor.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation