Level 3
80 50 2 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

End Task no longer works

HP Recommended
Pavilion 6610f Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have had this computer for probably 5 or 6 years and I reinstalled windows 7 home premium about 3 years ago with the HP recovery disks that I made when I first got the PC.  I don't want to use any higher Windows OS. I have over 3/4's of operating system that is still free.

I have always used the keys "ctrl" "alt" "delete" to bring up the "END Task" program message window that would usually dislplay the one to three programs that I might have running at that moment containing one of which I want to end.  I would highlight the program (usually full name) that I wanted and then click on "end task" and that did the job for me when something was frozen or some other problem.

Now when I try to bring up the End Task program in the same manner, I get a long box, from one side of my monitor to the other and it is a list of ALL "Services" either running or not running on my computer in their abbreviations, 3/4's of which I can't decipher as to what they pertain.  And I can't turn any of them off.  And this "services" box isn't easy to get rid of, as there is no  "X" in the upper right hand corner.

What happened to my "End Task" progtam?

Open mind Pure intent
4 REPLIES 4
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 666
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @TY965,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that there is an OS corruption.

No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

How long are facing this issue?

Have you tried an update on the computer?

Try the below steps to fix the issue.

System Restore:

- Shut down the computer completely.

- Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.

- If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.

- On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.

- On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.

- On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options.

- On the Advanced options screen, click System Restore.

- Click Windows 10 as the target operating system.

- The System Restore window opens. Click Next.

- Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click Next.

- The Confirm Restore Point window opens.

-Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.

- Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. Doing so can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.

- System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

TY965
Author
Level 3
80 50 2 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Raj1788 for your time and thoughtful reply.

I have chosen to remain with Windows 7 for a reason.  I didn't like the Windows 8 OS and I don't trust Microsoft or any of the higher versions of anything.  My computer and OS system has worked just fine for my needs and I didn't see any reasons for opening up any backdoors for the Microsoft invasion into my privacy.

I have been getting by without the End task and I am not as careless as I used to be, so I seldom need it.

But, thank you, anyway!!

Taylor

Open mind Pure intent
0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,774 5,014
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TY965,

You could fix the problem, see here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
TY965
Author
Level 3
80 50 2 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I remember quite clearly giving you a thumbs up and thanking you in my reply for your help.  However, it did not solve anything and I explained why.  

It was NOT a solution to my problem but I DID appreciate the thought and attempt to try.  So, in my opinion, doing any more than I did would be inappropriate or inaccurate.

Thank you for your comment.

Open mind Pure intent
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation