Gerry-Gr
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Support Assistant Downloading step Hangs

HP Recommended
HP Support Assistant
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I tried to open HP SA yesterday and it needed updates. The connection to the Server worked OK but the next step of downloading hung and timed out.

Today I totally uninstalled my old version and then installed the latest copy sp82049, Version 8.5.37.19. The same problem stills occurs. I  I disabled my firewall but still had the same problem. Here is the screen shot of what I see.

HP Checking process hangs.JPG

1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
32,065 31,770 2,925 10,675
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gerry-Gr

Preface 

Updates for Windows 7 are fewer than those for newer Operating System.    For example, using the HPSA to download and install one or two driver(s) is perhaps a waste of time and effort.  Consider:  Open the Software and Drivers Support page for your computer > Pick the driver(s) you want > download it to your computer > Install the driver

The computer must be supported for Windows 7.  This means that if you have (for example) downgraded your Operating System that 1)  HPSA may not recognize the downgradged condition, or 2) There may not be any Updates for the version of Windows you are running.  While HPSA should detect these types of issues, the program might just hang in confusion (no "exit" instruction in the code).

HPSA does not detect missing drivers and download -- the tool provides "updates" to drivers and software already installed on your computer.

HPSA requires a solid Internet connection -- part of this you can control (decent equipment, fast Internet service, stable and well configured network) and part of this is outside of your control.  For example, there may be trouble (out on the Net) between you and the source of the content you are trying to download.

OK, if you wish to do so, try again this time -- if asked, remove personal data when removing the existing version of the HPSA.

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, find, Uninstall the HP Support Assistant

After the uninstall is completed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTE:

When / If asked whether you want to save any of the presets / personal HPSA information, respond to have any (personal) data associated with the program removed along with the HPSA software.

Download:

HP Support Assistant

• If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator and install.
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Help for HPSA

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation