Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Aurora4

Please provide more details.

Too many variables involved.

Where is the old data? On external media or a different PC? If the data is on another PC is the old PC in working order? If the old PC's HDD has failed this adds additional complexity and (sometimes, prohibitive) costs to the recovery process.

Did you use specific backup software when archiving the data on external media? You would have to use the same software to recover/move the data.

Tom

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,960 7,271
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Aurora4

When we talk about transferring "data" from one PC to anther, we mean files and folders, NOT applications.

There are some free apps out there that will do this for you:

1) LapLink PC Mover

2) EaseUS PC ToDo PC Transfer

While BOTH can also migrate apps, only their paid versions do that.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Aurora4
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The data is on old computor which still works.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You can move the data using free programs suggested by WAWood.

I usually just plug in an external USB drive. Then copy folders (documents, photos, music) from my USER directory (or other locations based on where I have placed valuable information) to the external USB drive.

It is best practice and recommended to perform periodic data backups. You would be in a very bad position if the data on your old PC's HDD were not recoverable.

Plug the external USB drive into the new PC and copy the saved folders from the external USB drive to the new PC.

You have to purchase programs as suggested by WAWood if you want to move compatible applications.

Tom

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,960 7,271
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Aurora4

You don't actually "need" either of the apps I suggested if all you want to do is copy files and folders to a USB stick, insert that into the new PC, and copy the same files and folders to that PC.

What these apps so is search for the files and folders you would most likely want to transfer and then migrate all of them for you.  These help ensure that everything you need to basically transfer your account from one PC to another (except for apps) is present on the new PC.

The choice is yours ...

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation