LeftyinFlorida
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

How do I wipe my files so that I can give PC away

HP Recommended
Pavilion 6510f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am replacing my PC.  How do I wipe all of my files and programs and leave the OS intact?  I plan on giving the PC to a charity.

3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,985 24,636 2,875 10,654
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LeftyinFlorida, welcome to the forum.

You can do a full System Recovery using the Recovery media that you made when you boght the computer.  You can have it format the drive which will wipe all of the data on it.  Also, there are third party apps that will wipe it.  Here is a video guide to help you:

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
LeftyinFlorida
Author
2 1 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found that wiping the computer can be done by going to Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore.  By making a few clicks, the computer is wiped clean and restored to original factory settings just as though it was brand new.

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,985 24,636 2,875 10,654
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good job, @LeftyinFlorida!

When you said wipe the computer I believed that you didn't want anything remaining.  However, you discovered the best way to give someone a computer that will work for them.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation