Reid3491
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How to install IEE 1394 legacy device driver

HP Recommended
HPE-480t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to connect a Sony camcorder via IEEE 1394 Firewire. Various websites dictate that I must have a "legacy" driver installed in order to get this to work. The legacy driver is present on the system but I am unable to get the system to install the legacy driver. It only wants to install the  "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller."  There is a "1394.inf" file that contains this one and the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" driver. But I have not been able to install the required "legacy" driver. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

2 REPLIES 2
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Reid3491,

I did some research into your inquiry. Found this MS article.  The solution is within that link, but needed a fix. I am linking the file.  It starts out with an intro about WIN 8.  Just read thru it.  It's a step by step for IEEE 1394 Legacy install. You could also print it.

Happy Holidays ? OK ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Reid3491
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The latest info I have found states that the latest MS firewire driver is supposed to be upward compatible with the legacy driver. Then it describes the interface differences, so that means that higher layer software needs to be changed to accomodate it. Not a lot of help.

The whole situation is moot is my case. Adobe Premiere Elements removed support for firewire in version 13 and I have version 14. There are other ways to transfer video from the Sony camera tapes into the computer, so I don't need this anymore.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation