Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot find a category that suits my question and the Robo Agent is in my view useless so sorry if the question is in the wrong place. Having bought this computer I have been struggling to move the programmes and data over from my previous machine. I had assumed that the programmes would go on the SSD 250 Gb drive and the Data would go on the 2TB conventional drive but I find that the preinstalled Directories Pictures, Documents, Music etc are all mapped to the SSD Drive. I don't want to start a new system in the wrong way but I have found the HP appears to be like a Help Desk that is ex-Directory! I installed the latest Photoshop Elements 2012 onto to SSD Drive and put the vey large file of 10,176 on the 2 TB Hard dive but of course there are no pre-named directories on that drive. I am 76 years old so not in the first flus of youth but I have been using computers since 1981 but the lack of information on this new HP Computer astounds me an I have been looking every where fot it. I do hope you can be of help. Thank You

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Meldrew1943 

The recommendation is : Keep Windows and applications/programs on fast drive which is SSD on your machine and keep user data/files on slower drive which is other drive on your machine.

You can set DEFAULT user files/data to other drive using following instructions

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-save-location-windows-10

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien. Thank you for your advice, I don't feel comfortable or confident enough with actually resetting these defaults, I am nearly 77 years old and I worry that if I start this procedure I may get into a mess with it, so much so that I have actually lost quite a lot of sleep over it. Would it be possible for someone to get remote access to my computer over the Net and reset these settings for me please? I have simply set up a folder named Pictures on the Data Drive and linked my Photoshop Elements Software to it, all other items in Documents,  Desktop, Downloads, Music Videos etc  are, I believe,  on the C:/ Drive and may need moving to the Data Drive. I realize that this structure is fundamental to the operation of this new computer and the thought of me moving it terrifies me, I genuinely thought that buying a new PC with an SSD and a convectional Hard Disk Drive would have the mappings in place to take care of this automatically but this is obviously not the case. Over the years have worked a lot with computers and have written systems but I have been retired for over 15 years now and I have lost my confidence in doing anything other than use them now, I'm beginning to feel a bit of a dinosaur these days.  I do hope someone can help me. Kindest regards,  Keith

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.