cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonmel
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

I am unable to extend desktop to a new second monitor.

HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop 410-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to extend desktop to a new second monitor.  

I have HP Slimline Desktop 410-010 with Intel (R) HD Graphics 4400

The second monitor displays same as main monitor - both display the desktop.

The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel "Multiple Displays" view only shows Single Display.  Control Panel Display shows only one monitor recognized. Will not Detect or Identify the second one though the second on is showing Desktop like the main monitor.

I have tried updating the Intel (R) HD Graphics 4400 in Device Manager but it says up to date.

Can you help?

7 REPLIES 7
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,827 10,823 1,008 3,051
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics capabilities on the Intel 4th generation Core i3-4170 are OK.  It supports up to three independent displays: HDMI, DVI, Display Port, VGA (via Lynx Point).

I only see two choices for display on the case, however - VGA and HDMI.  How are the monitors connected?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

felix1952
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am currently having the same issues via  vga.... I tried everything  2nd monitor only mimics 1st one.

0 Kudos
felix1952
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am using a splitter VGA for the monitors.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, thank you.  That explains why both monitors are showing the same image.  A splitter is doing the job intended when both monitors show the same image.  In order for Windows to identify the second monitor, it needs to be connected to an indepentdant graphics port on the PC.

Here is the support page for the  HP Slimline 410-010 Desktop

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-slimline-410-000-desktop-pc-series/8499658/model/8524424/doc...

Scroll down to the topic with the heading of "Back I/O ports".  Click on that and it will show a picture of the output ports.  #3 is VGA and #4 is HDMI.  In order to connect the second monitor so that Windows can identify it, the second monitor needs to be connected to the HDMI output.  If one of your two monitors has a HDMI port, too, then it will be a simple thing of getting a HDMI cable to connect it.  Otherwise if both monitors are VGA only, an adapter similar to this should fix the problem

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Converter-Adapter-Projectors-devices/dp/B072SNVKDF/ref=asc_df_B072SNVK...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

felix1952
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok Thanks for the direction, I will buy HDMI CABLE and connect to the slot in the computer

I will revert back once I do so and let you know if this works... thank you for your support.

stay tune.

0 Kudos
felix1952
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes... thank you plugging into the HDMI port in computer corrected my issue. Now everything is working fine.

Thank you very much for you help and support.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great! Glad to help.  Please click the Blue "Thumbs up" icon

I'm not an HP employee.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation