Did you mean: 
sparkync
Level 3
44 23 0 1
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Multiple photos while importing

HP Recommended

I went to HP's FAQ and it said that multiple photos would not be imported, but I starter to import from my camera, and it started to import all 366 of them, until I cancelled it real quick.  If it would import them separtely from the original photos I would not mind, then I could just delete the ones that were duplicates at one time, but I don't want to have to go beside each original 366 times to delete each picture separately.   Any ideas how I might get this done.  Is there a setting somewhere I can put in, not to import duplicate photos??? Thanks a lot for your help...

8 REPLIES 8
MOSTSINCERELY
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AS I WAS LOOKING INTO 'MY PICTURES' I DISCOVERED THERE ARE AT LEAST 3-4 TIMES DUPLICATION OF EACH PICTURE.  MULTIPLY THAT BY 1000, THAT'S TOO TOO MANY!!  I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY GOT DUPLICATED LIKE THAT!!

IS THERE A WAY TO JUST HIGHLIGHT THEM AND SELECT 'DELETE DUPLICATES'????????

HOW CAN I STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING???

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can highlight the duplicate file, and press Shift/Delete to auto-delete the files, by-passing the Recycle BIn.

What program do you use to view these pictures?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
MOSTSINCERELY
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANK YOU FOR AN ATTEMPT TO ASSIST ME;

HOWEVER, I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR SOLUTION.

I WOULD HAVE TO SPEND 28 HRS. TO SIT DOWN AND DELETE EACH DUPLICATE--I DON'T GET IT.

I GO INTO 'MY PICTURES' PICTURES FROM LAST YEAR ARE DUPLICATED 4 TIMES.

THERE ARE NUMEROUS AND NUMEROUS PICTURES IN 'MY PICTURES'.

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I answered your basic question.

There are commercial programs that allude to fixing that problem, but as I don't have a need for it, I never bought it. In that vein, I would hesitate to suggest a program. You could google "duplicate file removal tools".

You could try this program: http://dll.nu/duper/

I would suggest you move an some files (original and duplcates to a folder, then try the program on that folder.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
PeaceLily
Level 10
1,206 1,194 166 600
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an idea for how to fix this, although I'm not 100% certain it will work, I'll throw it out there anyway.

Usually when a duplicate photo is imported, there's a suffix added to the filename, like "-001" or "-copy." So the filename would look something like "IMG_9673-001.jpg."

Go to the folder where the duplicates are located and type that suffix into the search box, then hit Enter. Windows should sort the files based on which files contain that suffix. Then you can highlight all the duplicates and delete them in one step, rather than having to do them individually.

You will probably have to do this multiple times because it sounds like you have a lot of duplicates. Keep searching for "002," "003," etc. and deleting them until all the dupes are gone. Be careful to avoid deleting any originals because it's possible they might have an "001" somewhere in their filename.

Now, to avoid importing the same photos over and over, I would suggest clearing your memory card of all old files after every time you upload. If you let me know the camera model and what software you're using to upload I can give you more info on how to do this. If you don't want to delete the old photos, again, please tell me which camera you're using, which software, and your upload method (ex. memory card reader, or using a data cable to connect the camera).

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
MOSTSINCERELY
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THANK YOU--I WILL TRY YOUR 'DELETE' METHOD SHORTLY...

I AM USING THE SONY CYBERSHOT MODEL: DSE-W-150

I USUALLY JUST ATTACH THE USB WIRE FROM THE CAMERA TO THE COMPUTER.

I'M NOT SURE WHICH PROGRAM DOWNLOADS THE PICS--THERE ARE NO MESSAGES.

I TRIED TO SEE IF THERE WERE ANY 'DIFFERENCES' OF A SET OF 4 IDENTICAL PHOTOS,

IN 'PROPERTIES' 'LOCATION'

ONE WAS: C:\USERS\SOFIA\PICTURES\2010-10-15 JOES BIRTHDAY

ANOTHER: C:\USERS\SOFIA\PICTURE PROJECT\0107

ANOTHER: C:\USERS\SOFIA\PICTURE PROJECT\0162

ANOTHER: C:\USERS\SOFIA\PICTURE PROJECT\0165

THIS DESKTOP (GOT IT END OF 2009) HAS 'PICTURE PROJECT', WHICH I DON'T REALLY USE MUCH

AND WHAT EVER WINDOWS HAS... I'M NOT SURE THE CYBERSHOT WAS INTALLED TO THIS COMPUTER.

WHEN I TRANSFERRED ALL MY PICS TO THIS NEWER COMPUTER, I USED THE 'BELKIN' CORD.

I AM TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF ALL OF THIS.  I HAVE SETS OF PICTURES THAT ARE DUPLICATED 5 TIMES SUCH AS THE 2010 SUPERBOWL PICS THAT WERE EMAILED TO ME.  AND OTHERS THAT ARE ONLY DUPLICATED TWICE......

THEN, I HAVE 2 FOLDERS: PICTURES AND MY PICTURES.

I JUST SPENT 90MIN. TRYING TO DELETE FILES IN PICTURE PROJECT TO SEE IF THE DUPLICATION DISSAPPEARED--I QUIT.........  TOO EXHAUSTING TRYING TO FIND THE EXACT PICS IN MY PICTURE LIBRARY........

0 Kudos
PeaceLily
Level 10
1,206 1,194 166 600
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh wow, that is interesting. Thank you for the detailed information. I misunderstood what exactly was going on--I thought the duplicates were appearing every time you imported new photos from your camera, but now I'm getting the impression that the "Picture Project" software might be creating copies on its own, for some reason. I've never used that software so I'm not familiar.

Also, it sounds like you're accessing/viewing your photos in a software program rather than through Windows Explorer. It might simplify troubleshooting if you accessed the files directly from the folders where they're located. I might be mistaken, but judging from the file locations you posted, it looks like the original photo file (the one you want to keep) is the only one located in your "Pictures" folder, in a sub-folder that you created ("JOES BIRTHDAY"). All the duplicates are in separate folders. Maybe you could totally delete the "Picture Project" folders to get rid of all the duplicates.

You might also consider uninstalling the Picture Project software, if you're not using it. Sounds like it's just causing problems.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
cralg7
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nowadays for duplicate files issue, we use DuplicateFilesDeleter. It's fast, accurate and easily customable depending on your need.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation