old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,180 24,806 2,905 10,818
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gcarts, welcome to the forum.

Your best option is to do a full system Recovery.  This will allow you to either add  a password or not.  HP doesn't allow us to help with password problems other than what I have mentioned because we have no way of knowing if the member is the true owner of the computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Gcarts
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you for the response, two questions. 1 will I lose everything on the computer? 2 how do I do a system recovery with out getting past the lock screen? Thank you in advance.
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,180 24,806 2,905 10,818
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Gcarts.

Microsoft Windows has system recovery options available through an advanced startup menu. When powering on the computer, you can enter the startup menu (F11) and select the system recovery options you need. Microsoft's system recovery options allow for varying levels of repair. System Restore resets the computer to an earlier date without affecting any files. Startup Repair seeks to correct any errors with the files that allow Windows to boot up correctly. System Image Recovery will completely reset the computer back to the way it came from the factory and delete any files on the computer.

As you can see in my explanation, there are options that will allow you to save your data.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation