Level 1
12 7 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Older Hp to use again

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Good afternoon.

I am new to the forum and hoping to get some help here.

I bought a hp pavilion desktop pc 9 years before .

It is still working but was not used ,I decided to fix it for my son(he is 7) buy some games for it,and cartoons.

These are the specification of the pc AMD ATHLON 64 PROCESSOR 3400+,1GB DDR ,  NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5500 and has win7 on it.

1. My first question would be,what could I change on it to be better,something that wouldn't cost much.I was thinking that might be useful to add some more rams for it,up until what size I can add?The current 1gb is in only one slot and there is another mor free slot.The ram on it is it DDR1?

2.The second question is what games would work on the pc.Would like something with cars like older need for speed.some games for kids. What would be the best way to check compability between games and my pc before buying anything?

3.Can be added to it a steering wheel?We got one Logitech e-x3b12,the adapter it goes in to the place where the older types of mouses were plugged in,not sure if it would work on the pc

Any suggestion is more than welcome

Thank you for your help

2 REPLIES 2
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I was thinking that might be useful to add some more Ram for it; up until what size I can add?

> The current 1gb is in only one slot and there is another free slot.

Microsoft's "minimum" RAM for Windows 7 (32-bit) is 1GB.  So, match the current RAM, to get a total of 2GB.

Since your motherboard supports at least 1GB per RAM slot, there should be no problem "doubling" the RAM.

Take the current stick of RAM to a computer-store, and get them to match it, if they can -- it may be hard to find such "vintage" RAM.  Maybe, look on the Craig's List web-site for one stick of 1GB "pre-owned" DDR RAM.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> What would be the best way to check compability between games and my pc before buying anything?

Read the packaging that comes with the retail product, to find the minimum & recommended configurations.

Or, check the manufacturer's web-site for those details.

However, look at www.bestbuy.com   and search for "refurbished desktop computer".

For under $200, you'll get a reconditioned computer with double the processing power, double the RAM, and Windows 10.

Note that Microsoft will terminate all support for Windows 7 in January 2020 -- just over 2 years away.

So, rather than putting too much money into your "antique" computer, check that BestBuy site.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation