Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-125se
Microsoft Windows 11

The SATA Emulation in BIOS is locked in RAID option. I don't know what you do to change it to AHCI. Someone within the community suggested me disable the Intel RST Optane option in W11, but I can't even find the Intel Rapid Storage in the system. Can anyone please educate me how to find Intel RST? I typed the name in the search but nothing came up. My BIOS clearly showed that the machine is using Intel RST Optane option.Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason you can't change the BIOS' drive controller setting to AHCI is because the Intel Optane memory uses RAID to pair with the hard drive.

If you were able to simply change the drive controller setting with that kind of configuration, your PC would not boot up.

Please see this link for how to disable the Intel Optane memory if you plan on installing a NVMe SSD instead of the Intel Optane memory.  Last two sections.

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

If you are not planning to do this, I do not recommend you change the BIOS setting to AHCI because your mechanical hard drive's performance will suffer.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, Paul_Tikkanen.  I will look into the resources you recommended. However, I might have done something really stupid. I disabled the Intel RST Optane Volume in BIOS, and thought that would force the SATA Emulation to break out of RAID. However,  the SATA Emulation is still grayed out as RAID in the BIOS. Now all three (the SSD, the original NVME, and the original HDD) all became non-RAID drives, so none of the drives are bootable at this moment. Oh mine. Lol. I will play around to see what I can do with it. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul-Tikkanen, thank you for your recommendations. I would like to follow up with some updates. I was not able to disable Intel Optane either through BIOS or W11. My BIOS (HP version 2.18) does not have "System Options" under "Advanced" setting (which is where to disable the Intel Optane by uncheck "Configure Storage Controller for Intel Optane", according to HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support). I neither could locate the IRST software in W11.  However, I enabled the grayed-out default RAID option for SATA emulation by unplug the Intel Optane NVMe. Now I can switch it to AHCI. Guess that's a progress. Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.