44 26 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Pavilion a6157c Driver and RAM Questions

HP Recommended
Pavilion a6157c
Microsoft Windows Vista

Gentlemen,

I just got a Pavilion a6157c, no HDD, from a thrift store. It has a WinTv capture card and I just want to set it up as a pvr for broadcast TV. It never needs to be online for this purpose.

It has a product key for Vista 32-bit. I have installation media already for that, so that's what I'm going to put on it.

I am disappointed to find that HP no longer provides drivers or any documentation (except for Specs) for these older model computers. So, I have to go elsewhere for drivers.

The defalt drivers installed by Vista may well prove good enough for much of the hardware but there are some functions where "good enough" might not cut it.

I've looked for chipset drivers from the Windows Update Catalog and there are quite a few sets of drivers for the Intel 945G chipset but they all seem to be labeled "Mobile". Would a "mobile" package work for a desktop? If some of the devices that might be commonly found  on laptops were missing from the desktop system board would the "mobile" installer simply not install that particular driver and move on, or would there be problems?

Intel has so many different downloads available for that chipset that I don't know what the correct one(s) is for this purpose. There's an INF download that seems to just identify the various components with their proper names so that they show up in Device Manager as such rather than by a generic name so that you have a better shot at getting the latest driver from Windows Update when using Device Manager to run a driver update, but that doesn't install drivers per se. There's also a video driver, but the site cautions that its drivers might not work perfectly with OEM systems since the companies may have modified the basic Intel drivers to tailor them to their system.

Sigh.

I do have some drivers from a Pavilion a1777c I no longer have. The a1777c used the same system board (Leonite2 - GL8E) and chipset that the a6157c uses.  Would there be any issues using those drivers -- at least for some of the hardware I know they have in common like the Realtek high def audio? I have no Intel video driver from the a1777c as it came with an Nvidia graphics card so I never bothered. The card is long dead.

This would all be simplified if I trusted these thiord party driver sites to give you correct copies of the drivers and without any unwanted baggage. Is there such a site that can be trusted for HP drivers?

I also want to bring up a RAM issue. The a6157c has 2GB of PC2-5300 RAM installed and I have 2GB of PC2-4200 RAM from the a1777c. Which would be better for my proposed use: to keep just the existing RAM which is a bit faster or to put in the spare PC2-4200 to make 4GB of RAM but then have a slower system?

Sorry to go on like this...Any advice from those more knowledgable on these matters than I will be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest!

Grant

3 REPLIES 3
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Save yourself from the pain and agony of finding all of the correct drivers.

You can acquire the original HP VISTA x32 recovery disks at this site.  $27

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
GHagen
Author
Level 3
44 26 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave! My Man!

I appreciate the reply.

I ended up using as many of the applicable drivers as I could from a Pavilion a1777c that used to have. Between that and what Vista installed the only thing I actually had to download was the Intel media accelerator driver for that chipset.

It works okay so far.

The built-in graphics are a bit weak, but I'm hoping to find a working graphics card at the same thrift store. I find useful salvage every once and a while.

I used the extra RAM from the a1777c, also. Most people seem to feel that the difference in operating speed would be too small to notice in most uses.

Again, Dave, thanks for not leaving my post hangin'.

Grant

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Grant,

The only issue I see with your approach is that you are missing the add on programs that are contained with the original HP OEM disks. But if everything is working as you claim then you probably will not need the add ons.

Good luck with your future endeavors using VISTA.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation