Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Problem executing Windows 10 scndsk

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite e9200 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I followed the instructions to execute scndsk on my Pavilion Elite e9270f  under Windows 10 (64-bit) Home Edition to scan for and correct errors on my primary disk HP (C) the utility Hangs at 10% completion. I let it sit for about 1-1/2 hours with, no progress. It apparently has the power switch on my desktop disabled and the only way I had to shutdown was pull the power cord to disconnect it. When I restarted and selected the option to abort the scndsk everything seemed to boot up normally. I then executed chkdsk to scan for errors only and it ran to completion with No Errors Found indicated.

I have executed the scndsk multiple times with the same result, Hanging at an indicated 10% completion. Each time I have to physically disconnect the power on my PC, reconnect the power and startup with the power switch and use the provision to interrupt the disk scan. Has anyone else experienced this problem or some idea what the true condition of my disk is?

9 REPLIES 9
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
12,842 12,635 1,773 5,013
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OldManKen,

As mentioned here, scandisk can hang for 3-4 hours.  Try overnight.

I would suggest you run the internal Smart test.

The lifecycle of your hard drive (circa 2009) is well past the date (3 years), so you got value.

Warranties for hard drives vary from 2 or 5 years.. I'd suggest this 5 yr warranty WD .   I would suggest you clone it to a new drive using EaseUS Todo

Got a few questions for you:

1) How full is your current hard drive? 

2) do you have an external drive?  capacity?   It would be helpful to copy off the Documents, Pictures, Video folders, plus any other data folders.   You could then run a scan on the external drive, detecting corrupt files.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am only currently using 6% of my hard drive as it is 94% available.

I do not have an external drive, just one of those small plug in removable sticks which

I do use to backup the important documents such as tax returns and datafiles I want to

be sure and keep.

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OldManKen,

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Follow my suggestions.

6% really is too low.  Sounds like some data blocks are corrupted, rendering a false percentage.

Did you use the error checking tool built-in to Disk properties?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, but I am going to follow your instructions to execute the SMART utility tonight and determine what it says. Hopefully it will give me an indication of what is really going on.

0 Kudos
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did go and run the checking tool built-in to Disk properties. It did run to completion and indicated no errors found.

I then attempted to follow the instructions to run SMART Support. Interrupted the startup fine using the F10 key. Used the arrow keys to select the correct disk and pressed Enter. Was informed of course the disk was enabled. Saw the SMART Support but could Not figure out how to select it as the arrow keys did nothing. If I just pressed Enter got the sub-screen to change the disk status from Enabled to Disabled. Used Esc to exit that and then Esc to exit the BIOS Setup utility entirely which of course then booted normally.

Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. As I said when the BIOS main screen came up and I used the arrow keys to select the disk and pressed Enter on then next screen I saw a right arrow depicted and SMART Support next to it but could not figure out how to select it.

Sincerely, Ken Brill

0 Kudos
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On a slightly different note. I do have a product called Malewarebytes Premium I have found very effective at determining

maleware on my system. I have it enabled to execute at Windows 10 startup along with Norton Anti-Virus. With the speed of my Pavilion Elite e9270f I notice virtually no degradation with both of them running. Malewarebytes Premium is specifically good at detecting bad websites and blocking them and also virus detection. I also have it scheduled to run daily with a full scan on my system including Rootkits, Memory, Startup Files, File System, Archives, Hueristics, etc.

I just completed a manual initiation of the Malewarebytes scan which during execution indictated a scan of some 300,000 files in the file system with no problems found. So I do find it difficult to believe there is a problem with my disk which is not affecting this.

At the same time I am getting frequently a Notification apparently from Windows identified as Security and Maintenance with a box with a big X in a red circle and Scan drive for errors and Click to start scan. In fact while writing this I had one but when I attempted to click and start the scan it just disappeared with no scan I could detect.

Obviously I am becoming quite confused as to what the condition of my system actually is.

0 Kudos
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still receiving a notification from Windows that I need to Scan drive for errors. When I invoke Control Panel and click on Security and Maintenance I am receiving a message under Maintenance I need to Scan drive for errors. This includes a box labeled Run Scan and when I click on it I receive a Drive status - Scanning drive . This rapidly changes to We found potential errors on a drive, and need to scan it, You can keep using the drive during the scan.  When I again click on Run Scan the same thing occurs. Can someone please explain what is going on here?

0 Kudos
wb2001
Level 15
Level 15
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@OldManKen,

Do these messages pop-up while your browser is loaded?  If so, which.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos
OldManKen
Author
Level 2
14 11 1 2
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not exactly sure. I do have my Windows 10 set to go into Sleep mode after 1 hour. When I reactivate it and Sign In I always look at the Notifications box in the lower right hand corner  and click on it whenever it indicates any are present. I believe I do see the Scan disk drive for errors prior to initiating anything else. The web browser I am using is Google Chrome as I find it more effective at blocking popup ads compared to Microsoft Edge. I do invoke Microsoft Edge frequently when I am entering a response on a web side such as Facebook and use Google to confirm the spelling or otherwise for what I am entering. Get dismayed that Google always prompts me to switch to Google Chrome since I am already using it.

I am definitely considering purchasing an external disk drive for backups, etc. and also a new internal hard drive to replace the current one. I frankly have not investigated whether I have a bay open in the e9270f to mount a 2nd internal hard drive as compared to an external one. But either way it has been a VERY LONG TIME since I have replaced a disk drive in a PC or such. I definitely will have to determine what is required to copy the content of the current hard drive, mount the new one and Boot from the copy so I can then copy the content back to the new drive. Prior to the Pavilion Elite e9270f I had purchased a quite large and expensive Dell PC back when I retired in Feb of 2003 which I operated under Windows XP for over 13 years and I Never had to replace a disk drive in it all that time.

Regards, Ken Brill

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation