cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SizingWindows
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Problem sizing Windows after system "upgrade"?

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Mini Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has there been a recent "upgrade" to the HP Mini? My display changed radically overnight, with lots of new clutter added on the desktop. Most importantly, I can no longer "size" any window. It's either "full screen" or "minimized". Nothing in between. This means I cannot open two windows at a time. I would like to get my old display back. Above all, I need to be able to "size" windows.  Version 1607. OS Build 14393.1480. Product ID 00326-10000-AA419. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC is at an older "upgrade" version of W10.  I had the same issue. However, build 15063 is the latest.

Dragging the Start menu might work to widen the menu. Additionally, go to Personalization ---> Start --> Show more columns. Also, show more tiles.

I have four (4) medium sized columns and my screen resolution is 2560 x 1440. I use a scale and layout set to 125%.

Look under Windows updates---> advanced and make sure that you are not pausing updates or you will need to wait another 35 days to get updates. You have to decide if you want Windows to update your OS.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
SizingWindows
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave:

Thanks so much for your prompt advice.  I wish I had been able to make better use of it.

1.  I found my way to Personalization>Start>Show More Tiles, but that setting did not seem to make any difference.  And that menu on my system does not include an option "Show more columns."  In fact, when I word search in "Settings" for the word "column", or "Show more columns", I get "No results."

2.  I have checked my Windows updates and find I am set to receive automatic updates.  My "Update status" this morning is "Your device is up to date.  Last checked: Today 2:17 am."  My update history shows that my last windows update was installed 7/11/17.  That makes me wonder what happened to change my system in the past week, but that's beyond me.  

I will continue to stumble around to see if I can find a way to "size" windows, and to be permitted to have two (or more) windows open on the screen at the same time.  If you have any other ideas, I would be grateful.  In any case, thanks for your efforts.

xxxxxxxxxxxx 

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I may have misread your issue about sizing Windows verses displaying the number of number of tiles.

Open up a command prompt(admin) and enter: sfc /scannow       -----> this action may take a while but it might correct your issue.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
SizingWindows
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave:

Thank you for your patience and persistence, but I'm afraid I don't know what a "command promp(admin)" is, nor how to open one.

Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation