Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Problems after Windows 10 Creators update

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer updated to the Windows 10 Creators version on Bank Holiday Monday (28 August). The reliability monitor listed several critical events relating to Com Surrogate (renamed later to DllHost.exe) which it reported as having stopped working. The only facility that appeared to be compromised was MicrofoftEdge, which attempted to load and then crashed. There were 12 critical events that day.

On the 29th the situation was unchanged, apart from the renaming of Com Surrogate to DllHost.exe.

So I got into an interactive chat with HP through HP Support Assistant. She did several things including a disk cleanup, locating and deleting a lot of temporary files, adding DllHost.exe as an exception in the Data Execution Prevention (now named as Com Surrogate) and then running something through PowerShell.

The result was that after the restart I lost contact and cannot get back in contact through HP Support Assistant, it has also stopped working. There were 78 critical events.

Today, to date, there are 47 critical events.

I can't do a system restore to prior to the Creators update, it does't appear to be available. The only restore option relates to a later Security update to Adobe done later on the same day.

The options that appear to be available are :

1. Continue to seek technical help relating to Com Surrogate and/or DllHost.exe
  2. Reset, which fills me with horror
  3. System restore to before the Security update to Adobe.
  4. Undo the last 2 Windows updates (the Creators version does appear to be available for undoing)

Or some other options?

9 REPLIES 9
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,618 3,992
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alan29

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your Microsoft Edge is crashing and certain updates aren't being installed,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that Microsoft is pushing for the creator's update and it will eventually be installed, even if you remove it now?

(that should rule out option 4 and 3 as it would eventually be installed considering windows update can't be stopped in windows 10)

You could backup your data into an external source and attempt a push button reset to resolve the issue:

Click here for instruction. (basically option 2, is the best way to go forward, however, the push button reset by Microsoft claims that your data will be safe).

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The situation is that, apart from Microsoft Edge crashing, everything seems to be normal, including updates. 

It's only when I go into the Reliability Monitor I see a list of critical errors most of which are DllHost.exe or Com Surrogate (they seem to be interchangeable?). There were 12 on the 28th, 78 on the 29th, 70 on the 30th and 65 yesterday.

It does look as if I'm going to have to perform a reset but I'll do this only as a last resort and, since I have no way of stopping it, the Windows 10 Creators update will eventually be installed and I may be faced with an identical problem.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alan29

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If the issue is only regarding the MS edge, I recommend you Contact Microsoft or send them a feedback meanwhile use other browsers such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.

That said, the system refresh instructions I sent earlier does not reinstall the OS, instead it only refreshes the settings and resolving issues as the ones you have, however, that's your call and I recommend you create a backup to be safe prior to a refresh.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to update you by replying but my post wasn't accepted for some reason, possibly I can't reply twice to the same post

I want to thank you for your support but I've decided I'm going to leave things as they are at the moment. The only inconvenience is that Microsoft Edge crashes and I have 3 other browser options.

I'm just not confident enough to pursue the suggested solutions and, as I understand it, even if a refresh were successful I would have to reinstall some of my applications.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alan29

Thank you for replying 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Click here to attempt to reset the Microsoft Edge (if you aren't interested in the system refresh) perhaps, the edge can be reset instead:

(Mentioned under - Microsoft Edge runs slowly, has trouble loading pages, or cannot connect)

Run a scan of the system to check for any damaged system files.

1. Right-click Start , and then select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

If a User Account Control window displays, click Yes.

Figure : Selecting Windows PowerShell (Admin)

Location of the Windows PowerShell (Admin) option
  2. In the command line of the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window, type sfc/scannow, and then press Enter.

The System File Checker scans for and repairs missing or corrupted system files. This process might take several minutes.

Figure : Typing sfc/scannow in the command line

Typing sfc/scannow in the command line

After the scan completes, try using Microsoft Edge again. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve if this doesn't work, so make sure you get back to me 😉

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The PowerShell fuction resulted in this (but not the emoticon!!):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc/scannow
sfc/scannow : The term 'sfc/scannow' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ sfc/scannow
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (sfc/scannow:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I have run scannow recently, but using the cmd function. It has revealed no errors.

I'm going to try the troubleshooter next but if that reveals nothing can you confirm that by using System refresh I will have to reinstall the applications i have downloaded such as BT Cloud, Office 365 , Malwarebytes, Canon, etc.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alan29

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As informed by Microsoft, your personal data will not be affected during a system refresh, however, to be on a safer side, I recommend you to ensure you have a backup of all the softwares and it's saved files.

That said, Did you follow all the steps listed on the link I shared earlier: HP PCs - Resolving Microsoft Edge Browser Issues?
(If not, Please Click here for more details)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've yet to do either the Microsoft Edge Browser Issues process or the system refresh. I'm going to try them, in that order, when I find the nerve to do so, both represent a leap into the unknown for me.

Thanks for your continued support but neither may be something I will attempt imminently.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Alan29

Thank you for the replying,

As I mentioned earlier, this isn't the unknown as we known the exact outcome of the actions prescribed, that said, please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help. 

Meanwhile, Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation