Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Problems after Windows 10 Creators update

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If this appears twice I apologise, I could not find my original posting. 

On Bank Holiday Monday (28 August) my desktop was updated to the Windows 10 Creators version. I've had problems ever since.

The reliability monitor has listed 12 critical events for Monday, 78 for Tuesday, and 48 to date for today.

They are mostly related to Com Surrogate (which appears to be renamed to DllHost.exe later) which it reports to have stopped working.

The only inconvenience to me is at this stage is that MicrosoftEdge crashes after I attempt to open it.

I sought help form HP through HP Support Assistant yesterday. She did a disk cleanup, deleted a lot of temporary files, added DllHost.exe as an exception to the Data Execution Prevention and then ran some instructions through Powershell.

After the restart I lost contact, the chat option in HP Support Assistant no longer functions.

I cannot restore to prior the the Windows 10 Creators update. The only restore appears to be that relating to a later security update to Adobe (on the same date though).

I can undo the updates to both Windows 10 Creators and the security update to Adobe, those options appear to be available.

Can anyone suggest what I should do? The option to reset fills me with horror.

5 REPLIES 5
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Alan29

My take on your situation is the Creator's Update is unstable.

HP Support attempted to fix your problems unsuccessfully.

You cannot do a Microsoft System Restore back to before the Creator's Update? Is this correct?

But then you are stating you can undo the Creator's update. I am not following the logic. A system restore would be reversing the Creator's Update.

Can't you use the restore function in Settings, Update and Security, to go back to the Anniversary Update?

Try a Refresh installation if you cannot go back to the previous version of Windows 10. You will have to reinstall stuff if you do this.

At least you can save settings and documents.

When I have this type of problem I usually save data and do a clean install if I am up for the time and labor it takes to do this. This usually corrects the problem.

I also Have multiple backup images of previous operating system snapshots so I can reimage the HDD or SSD when I get in trouble.

You might want to look at installing free third party backup software such as Macrium Free, or Paragon Free. You can Google to find the links to the vendors. There is a learning curve to using the programs but they work.

Then create a backup image on an external USB drive using one of the free imaging programs and create a recovery boot USB drive. Then if you run into trouble you can restore a known good backup image and only lose data added since the last backup. You can do differential and incremental backups to eliminate up to 99.9% of data loss.

Another option is to clone an existing known good operating system install to a second HDD or SSD. Then do the update on the cloned drive. You still have a good drive to fall back to if the Windows 10 update causes problems on the cloned drive.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you for taking the time to proved such a detailed repsoane.

However, despite the ranking assigned to me by the HP forum, I'm in no way technically competent in these matters, so things need to be spelt out to me.

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi Alan29

My take on your situation is the Creator's Update is unstable.

Anwer: On the surface, apart from Microsoft Edge there doesnt appear to be a problem. However the Reliability Monitor lists a multitude of critical events

HP Support attempted to fix your problems unsuccessfully.

Answer: Correct

You cannot do a Microsoft System Restore back to before the Creator's Update? Is this correct?

Answer : Apparently not. There is one restore point and that appears to relate to a later Security update for Adobe.

But then you are stating you can undo the Creator's update. I am not following the logic. A system restore would be reversing the Creator's Update.

Answer : When I go into Windows Update/Update History/Uninstall Updates there is a Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4034674) which I assumed was for the Windows 10 Creators update. It appears I can uninstall it.

Can't you use the restore function in Settings, Update and Security, to go back to the Anniversary Update?

Answer : Where is this restore fuction?  I can see a recovery option listed

Try a Refresh installation if you cannot go back to the previous version of Windows 10. You will have to reinstall stuff if you do this.

Answer : where do i find this Refesh function?

At least you can save settings and documents.

When I have this type of problem I usually save data and do a clean install if I am up for the time and labor it takes to do this. This usually corrects the problem.

Answer: What is a clean install?

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Alan

You are welcome.

Sorry to not have touched base earlier.

Back up data if you decide to do a clean install. It is a good idea to backup data on a schedule to avoid data loss if something bad happens to your PC.

It would be best to direct you to this Microsoft Support site to deal with Windows 10 recovery options.

I have a lot of Windows 10 reliability monitor issues on my PC also. It is running stable so I am waiting for symptoms to occur.

There is usually a go back option in Update and Recovery in Settings.

There should be a Refresh, Reset option in Settings, Update and Recovery.

There is also a Clean install option in the new Windows Defender Security Center.

I have Windows 10 running and also have Windows 7 going. I tend to favor Windows 7 so I have to jog my memory to remember where all of the Windows 10 recovery, reset, refresh options are.

You can install Windows 10 clean by going here.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Alan29
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your support, I'm grateful you've taken the time to help me out.

Under the circumstances I'm going to leave things as they are at the moment. The only inconvenience is that Microsoft Edge crashes and I have 3 other browser options. I'm just not confident enough to pursue the suggested solutions.

There is one irritation, whenever I use the Cortana search box it tries to open Microsoft Edge, even though it isn't my default browser and there doesn't appear to be a setting I can change.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Alan

I am pretty sure Microsoft tethers Cortana to Edge.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation