CGibney
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Procare Daycare Software - Issues on an HP Pavilion All-in-One 27

HP Recommended
Pavilion 24-R014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I help a local daycare with their technology needs. They recently purchased several Pavilion 24" all-in-one PCs which are set up in a local peer-to-peer network. 

They use the popular Procare Child Care Management software, which they've been using for years on very old PCs. Been working great. Until the new HP computers were installed.

For the most part, the software works just fine except for one significant area... when saving an Employee Timecard. There's a really long delay. It doesn't matter if we're saving a change to an existing timecard or adding a new timecard, there's a 5 - 20 second delay.

This seems like an obvious software issue in Procare. But 4 different support calls later (and they have terrific tech support), we're all still stumped. The Procare database is hosted on one of the new PCs, using SQL Express as the database engine. 

If we use a much older computer (running Windows 7 or Windows 8), timecards save just fine. It's quick. But on any HP computer (which includes a 2 year old all-in-one HP PC), it's *really* slow.

We have installed the software and full database onto other PCs, just for testing. All other computers are just fine when we test saving timecards. But regardless of which PC the database is hosted on, anytime that an HP computer is used as the "client" to save timecards, it's really slow.

We're stumped, as is Procare tech support.

4 REPLIES 4
Pappa_D
Level 2
Level 2
13 12 0 13
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello CGibney,

Thanks for your post here on the forum.  Sorry to hear that your seeing this problem.   I'd like to help narrow it down.  Prior to working here at HP my background was in working with a client/server database and application vendors  similar to the one you are describing and troubleshooting similar issues, so hopefully I can be of some assistance.

There's many factors to consider that may have been exposed with the PC upgrades: 

1.  When using one of the PC's to host the database, you'll want to factor in the priority of SQL Express process (which may have been adjusted on the previous PC's.  I'd recommend reviewing Microsoft's setup recommendations in that scenario.
  2. If there are scenarios where the SQL Express DB is running on the same PC as the application, there could be resource contention, but in general it will likely be faster than remote client/server.  
  3. You'll want to check the resource usage on Windows Task Manager on the box running SQL Express to see if anything is "maxed out" like RAM or CPU. 
  4. How do the new PC's RAM and CPU compare to the old ones?
  5. There's also factors that can come into play as to how the application is written and whether it leverages the client/server DB or not.  If much of the data is read into the client application, then it'll run much faster on a local DB than on client/server, expecially in single-user scenarios, and as more users are added, performance will suffer if client/server isn't effectively used.  I'm not familar with the application but it may have a client/server version and a local server version, so the application vendor should also be a resource.

The SQL Express knowledgebase will likely be very useful here, but I'l be glad to help where I can.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this helps.

I am an HP employee
CGibney
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, we confirmed that it's definitely not an SQL Express issue or a performance issue related to it. We know this because we can go to any non-HP computer and perform the same task and it is VERY quick. And these non-HP computers are actually quite old and have modest RAM and specs.

We solved the issue though. Here's what I had to do. I had to disable most of the HP add-on programs that start up with Windows. I haven't narrowed down which HP add-on program is the true culprit, but we know for sure that this resolved the issue 100%.

0 Kudos
Pappa_D
Level 2
Level 2
13 12 0 13
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's great, I'm glad to hear that you've found a solution!

If you do happen to see which ones had the most impact, then that would be good to know.

It's not terribly surprising as the Windows distro that you received is likely more geared toward client deployments and not as condusive to a database server environment, so it's great that you "stripped it down" to be more like a server OS environment.  Well done.

I am an HP employee
CGibney
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. Just to clarify, in case someone else runs into this... the issue wasn't the HP software on the server. It didn't matter whether the HP add-on software was running on the PC that housed SQL Express. The issue was on any "client" PC that started up the HP software, which obviously then interacted in a negative way with the Procare Daycare software.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation