Did you mean: 
John_S1
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Simple Back-Up

HP Recommended
Simple Back-Up

Hi  I have an old series of back-up disks dated 16 June 2001. I wish to view the files on these, as I believe (hope) they may contain some missing photos. 

When I load the disk, I get a message that it shows a screen for Simple Back-Up, but then says it cannot copy files, and refers to Simple Restore.

Is it possible to download this program, or is there any way to view these files? I am now using Windows 10, or could use Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra).

I hope someone can help me.

Many thanks

8 REPLIES 8
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,835 10,831 1,008 3,051
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The SimpleSave software is intended to be used for the Restore process also.  Is there a copy of the software on the drive and do you still have the device that powers the SimpleSave drive?  There is a board or card in the adapter that enables the ability to read the data from the drive.

If you could answer these questions, perhaps I can guide you to a solution.  From what I read, without the adapter, it will be more difficult.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
AmpLighter
Level 5
224 211 8 43
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The only option that's allowed for crossing over to multiple OS (Windows to Apple) would be the use of the Cloud services.

Also, I'm under the impression that when one backs up or creates a system restore, the computer warns the user that all files need to be saved elsewhere. Thus when creating a back up recovery etc.. It only copies those files/folders which allow the system to just reboot or installing the basic system files in order to operate.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not understand why @AmpLighter would interject that comment.  You are allowed to view and retrieve the data from the drive.  No one has crossing over to mulitple OS's.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
John_S1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your various sugggestions. I no longer have the system/pc on which these discs were created. Indeed, I vaguely recall that they might have been created by an engineer who was helping me, but with the passage of time, I can’t recall the details, or who the engineer was. 

Is it possible to download the program which created these back-up discs? I could probably restore the system to a virtual pc, without causing me grief, although I would rather just find a means to unscramble the back-up and extract some files. 

I mentioned Apple OS as an alternative option if that helped. I can use Mac OS or Windows with an appropriate program, if anyone can suggest where I can get hold of a program (referably free or very inexpensive). These are personal files, and I should really like to be able to recover the pictures. 

Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The reason I asked if the software was on the drive - there was supposed to be a copy of the software somewhere on the drive.  The way you answered leaves me to believe you did not look there, but what ever.

Look at this thread.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=22784&start=

On the second page, the post dated June 25th, 2018.  Read up to that post to get the full topic of retrieving the files.

https://github.com/themaddoctor/linux-mybook-tools

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
John_S1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that reply.

From my reading of the links, it seems that whoever created my discs did so on a special external drive, and has not given me any means to recover the files. Nice!!

I'm not tecvhnical enough to understand the link you sent me, unfortunately. Perhaps the only other way to get my files back is to find someone who has the required set-up near me, and who would be willing to try and view the files for me.

Any-one around in/near Berkshire (UK) who can help??

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am interested in the files.  Are you able to see them and just cannot open them or will Windows not even allow you to see the storage area?

From what I have seen/read about the SimpleSave, it was just a software package that was able to backup and restore.  I thought is was intended for the Pocket Media Drive type "external" drives that were really just a drive in an external case that fit in a drive bay.  Is that what your drive resembles?

Here is a support page showing them

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00853896

Anyways, what exactly gets reported when the drive is connected and Windows Explorer tries to look at them?  If you can see the files, what extension does it have?  In other words, theFileName.??? 

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
John_S1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back so quickly, Dean.

I have no drive. All I have are 3 CDs, labelled Backup CD 1/2/3 - Drive 😧 19/06/01.

When I put the CDs in, the details shown are:

1 - CD1 - the list of files on CD1

2 - the windows message when I try to run autorun.exe

3 - the list of files in CDs 2 and 3

4 - The text message file visible on CDs 2 and 3

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 19.12.10.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-15 at 19.15.08.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-15 at 19.25.15.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-15 at 19.26.07.png

So I don't have a drive I can do anything with! Hence, my thoughht wondering if there is a program I can download which will let me reada the files on the CDs

Thanks - John

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation