Start up menu not opening

HP Recommended
HP Spectre convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my start menu doesnt work so i ran a scan on powershell and it says this:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.
PS C:\windows\system32>

now i dont know what to because everything is so difficult to do when my start up menu and search bar does not work 

2 REPLIES 2
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,618 3,992
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@drury1

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the start up menu isn't opening anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When was the last time it worked?

Did you install or interrupt any recent updates before the issue occurred?

Does it work on safe mode? (if you don't know, please check: Click here to know how).

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Before you proceed, you may want to create a system restore point first, so that you can revert back, if you find that the results are not what you expected.

1] Download and run the Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter from Microsoft.

2] Run the following command in an elevated command prompt, to run the System File Checker.

sfc /scannow

Restart after the scan is over and see if it helped.

3] Repair Windows Image. Open an elevated CMD copy-paste the following and hit Enter

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Restart after the scan is over and see if it helped.

4] Open an elevated PowerShell window.

Type the following and press Enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

To open an elevated PowerShell prompt, type PowerShell in taskbar Search, and in the result ‘Windows Powershell’ which appears, right-click and select Run as administrator.

After the November Update, if you use this method  to fix this problem using the Appx PowerShell cmdlet, it caused problems with your Windows Store apps. But if you have installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update, it is working now.

6] Create a new user and see if it helps. To do this, open an elevated command prompt window, type the following and hit Enter:

net user username /add

Here username is your new user name. You will see a The command completed successfully message. Log into your new account and see if has resolved your issue.

NOTE: You may do this, to open a Command Prompt or Powershell window. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager. Click on File menu > Run new task. To open a command prompt window, type cmd. To open a PowerShell prompt, type powershell.

Remember to check the Create this task with administrative privileges check-box. Then hit Enter.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
drury1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi my model is HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac002na, the start hasn’t been working for about 2 weeks now, all updates were done uninterrupted, honestly i have no idea what all that means, but I will give it a go. If it doesn’t work what would have to happen after this ?
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation