Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C-A-C5__
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Time and Date

HP Recommended

My HP computer time has been incorrect for a few weeks.  When I change it, it returns to the wrong date the following day.  Now  the date is showing November the first.  It will not allow me to change it? 

8 REPLIES 8
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,026 24,677 2,883 10,677
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@C-A-C5__, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you change the CMOS battery.  This may solve your problem.

For future reference, when requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Check that you have set the correct time-zone, e.g., GMT (Greenwich, England) or UTC-10 (Honolulu, Hawaii).

Is it exactly a number of hours "off" ?

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Is the date and time changing to a repetitive specific date and time and is this happening only when you shut down your PC? The realtime clock usually loses time when the motherboard battery is failing. But this can depend on whether you shutdown your PC each day and then reboot in the morning. A failing MB battery can also cause strange operating system anomalies. But an incorrect time zone setting can cause Windows updates to fail.

IMHO this event aligns with old_geekster's take on the problem. Change the CR2032 motherboard battery.

Check time zone settings if the date and time is resynchronizing to specific time intervals which maintain a constant variance to your current time zone.

Time zone errors are normally present after a new installation of the operating system. Microsoft and Apple default to the Pacific Time Zone.

It is a good idea to investigate both suggestions.

Best wishes. Hope you solve this problem.

Tom

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Microsoft and Apple default to the Pacific Time Zone.

Correction: Microsoft Windows defaults to the EASTERN (GMT-5) time zone.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey mdclkken.

Duh!!

Regards

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey

Don't know what alternate universe you live in, but every clean installation of Windows I have ever done sets the time zone to Pacific.

Regards

Tom

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> every clean installation of Windows I have ever done sets the timezone to Pacific.

Try an "offline" install -- without an Internet connection.

Not having an Internet connection means no possibility of virus-infection before Windows "defences" (firewall, anti-virus) are fully-updated & deployed, and it avoids the download of those updates that are famously & widely described on this forum as "black screen for 15 minutes after Windows login after installing Windows Updates on/after 12-SEPT-2017 at 10 AM Pacific".

The time-zone will be set to "UTC-0500".

As soon as you connect to the Internet, the "fresh" install will query an Internet time-server, and will change the timezone.

Try it, and you will see.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey

I have installed Windows offline many times over the last two years.

Current Windows 7 installs (wow, this could be a Windows 7 OS) require installing this operating system offline so you can apply patches which facilitate Windows Update.

Windows 7 Update will hang and consume a specific CPU svchost processes if you don't install these patches offline. It could take  days for Windows Update to identify, download, and install updates. The processor and memory processes associated with the specific svchost process freak out.

The default time zone is Pacific. Duh!

I have done this over and over again.

Sorry, no star for you again.

Regards.

Tom

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation