cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shazzypops
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Touch & pen keyboard keeps opening randomly every few minutes, minimizing whatever app I'm using.

HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 520-1138cb
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My touch and pen keyboard keeps opening ramdomly every few minutes.  When it does, it minimizes whichever app I'm using and I have to click on the icon on the taskbar to expand it to keep working.  When the keyboard opens, it is hardly visible - you can only see the edge of it on the upper left corner of the screen.  It disappears after about 5-10 seconds.   I would like to find out how to stop this even if it means disabling that keyboard completely - forever!  I do not use at all.  Please help me before I go insane!  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,961 24,612 2,873 10,644
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Shazzypops, welcome to the forum.

I don't want you to go insane, so give this a try:

1. Select “Start” > “Settings“.
  2. Choose “Ease of Access“.
  3. Select “Keyboard“.
  4. Set “On-Screen Keyboard” to “On” or “Off” as desired.

This should keep you sane. :Wink:

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
Shazzypops
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The solution given did not fix the issue.  They "on-screen keyboard"  on/off selection has always been OFF.  Do you have another suggestion?

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Shazzypopswrote:

The solution given did not fix the issue.  They "on-screen keyboard"  on/off selection has always been OFF.  Do you have another suggestion?

The first option was a bit easier, but here is another option:

Click your Start button, type services and hit Enter

When the Services applet opens, click on the Name column to sort the services by name, and then scroll until you locate the “Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service“.

Double-click on that service, if it is started, click stop and set its Startup type to Disabled

Restart your PC

0 Kudos
Shazzypops
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again....

Under services there are many many items, but nothing named "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service".    At all.  Not under "standard" and not under "extended".  Just a reminder that I'm using Windows 7....

Still no solution......

thanks,

sharon

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a different guide for Win 7.  The third time may be the charm.  Let's hope.

0 Kudos
Shazzypops
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This did not work either, as it was NEVER checked to activate that touch keyboard.  It has always been unchecked.  Never mind, though, I got someone at Costco Concierege to sign in remotely and fix it.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation