Berniedaz
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Transfer files to new computer

HP Recommended
Pavillion 570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new HP Pavillion desktop is being delivered Friday. Our old computer had a BSOD and was unable to boot up. I removed the hard drive, an old  Windows XP era 500GB, and installed it in a USB 3.1 converter box. I am able to read the drive when I plug it into a Windows 7 laptop. What would be the best option for transferring files, data and Thunderbird, to the new box?

Can I just plug the box in and, after installing the appropriate software , just copy the documents and pictures over?

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,770 92,648 11,995 25,574
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Berniedaz wrote:

... Can I just plug the box in and, after installing the appropriate software , just copy the documents and pictures over?

@Berniedaz

Yes, that is a simple way. We used to have a way to transfer files from old computer to new computer. But now the old HDD is in a box.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Berniedaz
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Yes, I would have preferred hooking up to the old computer but as noted, I couldn't get past the BSOD. I can always put the HD back if there was a way to bypass and transfer.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation