Morganza
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Upgrade SSD drive on Envy Phoenix Desktop

HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 860-180st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to find out what are my options for upgrading my SSD on this system. It currently has the following SSD drive:

SAMSUNG MZ7LN256HCHP-000H1 - 238.47 GB

I want to upgrade to a larger size SSD but can't seem to navigate the parts store to find one, if such a thing exists.

I could use some help sorting this out.

Thanks

How this posted ended up on a "Notebooks" board, I don't know. I started it on a "Desktop" board, I think. Anyway, here it is.

2 REPLIES 2
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,811 5,051
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your Samsung MZ7LN256HCHP-000H1 is a m.2 PCIe SATA SSD.  You should be able to find a larger SSD at newegg.com depending on your pocketbook size and storage requirements.  Look for a 2280 m.2 PCIe SATA SSD.

Use a hard drive imaging tool to image your existing SSD to external then replace the existing SSD and then restore back your external image.  See the below image for the location.

You can use Acronis, Macrium Reflect or Paragon to image the existing HP OEM m.2 SSD to external media.  All three vendors have free products to do the imaging task.  I also suggest that you back up your data and create the external HP recovery media as something may go wrong.

Thimphu m.2 SSD location.jpg

I also suggest that you update the diagnostics and run a set to make sure that your PC is stable before installing the new m.2 PCIe SATA SSD.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Morganza
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yeah, I was hoping to keep the hardware on this computer in the HP realm but they don’t seem to be interested in doing that. I already ordered a compatible SSD elsewhere. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation