Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

need to transfer programs from C drive to D drive

HP Recommended
Pavilion PC 570-p024na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get a message that my C: drive is almost full and I need to create space.  I have cleared  the recycle bin and deleted other items but I think the problem is that I have too many programs on the solid state drive (C).  It seems obvious now but I accepted the default C: drive for installation without realising how small it is.  Is there a way to transfer my programs from the C drive to the D drive other than deleting them off the C drive and reinstalling them on the D drive?  Also will there be any registry issues?

Thanks for any replies.

9 REPLIES 9
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,832 92,709 12,004 25,591
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Marshey

The following link shows specs of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05444427

It has 128GB of M.2 SSD. I've got 128GB SSD on my machine with tons of programs and still have 30% free space. You can't transfer all programs/apps from C: to 😧 (or other drive). Please try

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-installed-apps-programs-windows-10/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,697
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Is there a way to transfer my programs from the C drive to the D drive other than deleting them off the C drive and reinstalling them on the D drive?  Also will there be any registry issues?

I would not recommend anything other than what you have suggested - it is the best solution.

Start with the "free" programs (Adobe, Audacity, VLC), rather than those programs that require a license-key (such as Microsoft Office).

No, there will not be any issues with the Windows Registry, as long as the 'D:' drive-letter is accessible, i.e., not a "removable" device, such as an external disk-drive.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Marshey
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, I want to carefully study you information before I proceed.   I have used 116 GB leaving 1.35 GB free, have to sort out what I do not need.

Regards

Marshey

0 Kudos
Marshey
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for you reply,  will give it a careful look.  I  assume that I delete programs from C drive before reinstalling on D drive.  Will there be any issues regarding finding data files?

I have used 118 GB and have 1;35 Gb free on my C drive.

Thanks once again.

Marshey

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,697
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Don't forget to run the Windows "Disk Cleanup" utility, choosing to "cleanup system files".

Choosing this option removes Windows updates that have already been applied.

Delete all "Temporary Internet Files" within your web-browser(s).

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,697
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Marshey@  wrote:

I  assume that I delete programs from C drive before reinstalling on D drive. 

Will there be any issues regarding finding data files?

Yes, delete the programs, then reboot, to do any "final cleanup".  Then, install, and reboot.

I do not anticipate any problems when your personal files exist on either 'C:' or 'D:', as long as you can remember where you stored them.

Also, check your 'Downloads' folder.  It can "grow", over time.

Marshey
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My query was about creating space on my solid-state C drive.

I incorrectly assumed I needed to delete program files.

An HP technician  discovered that virtually half my C drive was taken up by my iTunes library.

The HP technician did some tech stuff and an Apple technician finished the job.

I now have 60 GB free on the C drive

Hope this information will be of use to others.

Thank you very much for your help/answers.

0 Kudos
Marshey
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My query was about creating space on my solid-state C drive.

I incorrectly assumed I needed to delete program files.

An HP technician  discovered that virtually half my C drive was taken up by my iTunes library.

The HP technician did some tech stuff and an Apple technician finished the job.

I now have 60 GB free on the C drive

Hope this information will be of use to others.

Thank you very muchfor your help/answers.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,697
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Thank you very much for your help/answers.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation