Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All In One 24 (Touch) xa0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm having a few issues with my desktop. I have an HP All In One 24 (Touch) xa0xxx Intel Core i5-8400T CPU @ 1.70 GHZ and use Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

When playing audio or video from windows media player, Groove Music, Movies and TV stock app, the apps lock up and crash, or the song will be stuck at 0:00 and not play at all. Sometimes the song or video will work and then a couple minutes through the audio will cut out but the song/video will continue to play. Also with Youtube the video will show loading and you'll see the rotating circle in the middle of the video but it will time out and say in the middle of the video screen "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device". Sometimes when restarting the device youtube and media/audio players will work for a video or two and then the problems will persist with audio cutting out or media players crashing.

Also, when restarting my desktop I will get a black screen and be forced to hold the power button to shut down and restart my computer which gives me the "computer didn't restart correctly" screen. My computer has been very buggy in the last week and has been crashing whenever I try to run programs. Apps and internet browsers crash frequently as well.

Sometimes on startup my media players will not detect an audio device and will display "The Audio Service Is Not Running" notification.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled audio/display/video drivers using device manager, by clicking the look for hardware changes tab as well as using the audio/video/display troubleshooter which says that everything is up to date and working.  I've also made sure windows is up to date as well as going to advanced and making sure there's no other updates from windows security as well as the windows store. I've attempted to reset the BIOS using f10 key at startup but when looking at the instructions there's no file or power tab to reset through the BIOS setup utility so i'm assuming I have a different version of the setup utility from what the instructions recommend. 

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @killertofu

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the computer's performance. 

Let's try these steps to update the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

You may also refer to this document - HP PCs - Improving PC Performance (Windows 10) 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've tried updating from Windows Update screen as well as HP Support and neither fixed the problems. 

HP Recommended

@killertofu

Try testing the hardware using these steps -

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4. Click Extensive Test.

if the hardware is fine, back-up the data and try re-installing the operating system - HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.