Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP w2408H
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey Y'all,

I recently was gifted an HP w2408h monitor and upon setup, the monitor would only display for about 1-2 seconds at a time. After it's brief life, it turns black with no backlight, almost like a sleep mode. No error messages, but power light still indicated power.

I've tried the troubleshooting indicated on the product page including a resolution change, but to no avail.

No issues on my original monitor, so I dont think it's any issues with the hardware.

Help please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BigBearwitProbs There is a way to create, upload the video on youtube and share the link, however, that would not be required as your deductions prove this to be an issue with the HP monitor, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options for a repair or replacement:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BigBearwitProbs (I wish to make the big bear free of probs!) 😉

I recommend we start with a hard reset to release all excessive static from the device, and help it turn on without these issues, here's what you'll need to do:

Step 1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the monitor and the wall
Step 2. Hold the power button down for at least one minute
Step 3. Plug the power cord back into the monitor and then into the wall outlet (not a power bar or surge protector)
Step 4. Press the Menu button on the monitor
Step 5. Navigate to the Factory Reset option and select it

If that didn't do the trick, please try with an alternate power cord, or another wall outlet to check if that works.

Also, does an alternate monitor work fine when connected to the same device?

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response!

I tried your solution and the same thing happened.  The menu button doesn’t bring up anything and the screen remains black. It happened again with a different outlet and cord too.

Upon pressing the power button I’ll see the “no input” message very briefly and then nothing will be visible. The menu button doesn’t make anything appear either. Only powering off/on again will give me two seconds of a working monitor.

HP Recommended

@BigBearwitProbs If you are getting the message - No Input, it would mean that the monitor isn't detecting a computer device, please ensure the cables are connected to the computer and as requested earlier, please check if an alternate monitor works fine using the same video cables currently attached to the HP w2408h and let me know how that goes.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've connected it to my PC with a HDMI cord and I'm still met with the original issue of 1-2 seconds of screentime. It's not even enough time for me to sign on. In addition to the original issue, the menu buttons are still not working after the screen blacks out.

My original monitor is what I'm currently using and it's working perfectly. The cables (Power/HDMI/VGA) are all from my old monitor.

What I've deduced so far:

1. Cables are not an issue
  2. GPU/PC components are not an issue
  3. Power outlet is not an issue

Is there a way I could post a video of the monitor's behaivior to assist in the diagnosis?

HP Recommended

@BigBearwitProbs There is a way to create, upload the video on youtube and share the link, however, that would not be required as your deductions prove this to be an issue with the HP monitor, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options for a repair or replacement:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.