Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 810-150S E
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just installed a UHD monitor, but the legacy video card will not support it.  Fallout 4/Steam suggests-at minimum- an NVDIA GTX780/3G or an AMD Radeon R9 290x/4G.

These cards are pretty hard to find.  Can you suggest a better substitute?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings Pellecom,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't work for HP. My suggestions are my own.

Okay, your PC has a UEFI BIOS. This is good because it means you can run newer Nvidia or AMD graphics cards.

Your PC has a 600 watt power supply. This is also very good. 

Now, it is up to you to decide what product (Nvidia or AMD) you want to install in your PC. You also have to decide how much money you want to spend.

Both AMD or Nvidia current generation cards will exceed the minimum specs required to play the games you like.

Pick a card from the current crop of graphics cards available.

Check the dimensions and power supply requirements. You will need a supplemental PCIe power connector for higher powered graphics cards. Some graphics cards require one six pin, some require two six pin or a combo six and eight pin connector.

Verify the new card will fit in your chassis.

Your MB is limited to a PCIe x16 Gen. 2 slot. The newer graphics cards will run on a Gen. 2 slot at a slightly slower speed.

Best wishes.

Please get back to the forum if you have additional questions.

Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings Pellecom,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't work for HP. My suggestions are my own.

Okay, your PC has a UEFI BIOS. This is good because it means you can run newer Nvidia or AMD graphics cards.

Your PC has a 600 watt power supply. This is also very good. 

Now, it is up to you to decide what product (Nvidia or AMD) you want to install in your PC. You also have to decide how much money you want to spend.

Both AMD or Nvidia current generation cards will exceed the minimum specs required to play the games you like.

Pick a card from the current crop of graphics cards available.

Check the dimensions and power supply requirements. You will need a supplemental PCIe power connector for higher powered graphics cards. Some graphics cards require one six pin, some require two six pin or a combo six and eight pin connector.

Verify the new card will fit in your chassis.

Your MB is limited to a PCIe x16 Gen. 2 slot. The newer graphics cards will run on a Gen. 2 slot at a slightly slower speed.

Best wishes.

Please get back to the forum if you have additional questions.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.  Sounds like anything affordable is doable.

HP Recommended

Hi Pellecom,

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can run it if it fits in your PC,

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.