Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Other

I have an hp 23es monitor. It has started turning off randomly like it goes to sleep and won't turn back on until I unplug the power cable and plug it back in. Sometimes the led power light blinks repeatedly. Other times there is no light at all. Please help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ceranian, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Checking power

Disconnect the video cable from the monitor and make sure the monitor power cable is plugged into a power outlet.

With the monitor plugged in, press the power button on the monitor. There should be a power indicator light located on the monitor case. What happens to the light?

• If power light remains off when you press the power button, either the monitor is not receiving power or the monitor is defective. Check all of the following items before attempting to service or replace the monitor:

• Make sure the power outlet has power and the power outlet matches the power rating for the monitor.

• Connect to a different power outlet.

• Try a different power cord.

• If the light comes on, the monitor has power. Continue to the next Step.

Displaying a built-in on-screen message

Use the following steps to see if a built-in on-screen message displays.

1. Connect the video cable and turn on the computer.

2. Turn on the monitor and wait about ten seconds while the computer starts.

3. While the computer is starting, disconnect the video cable. What happens?

Fixing a bad video connection

Use the following steps to make sure the video connection between the PC and monitor is good:

1. Remove the video cable from the computer and monitor.

2. Check for bent or broken connector pins or broken pins that have become lodged inside the holes of the video connector on the computer. With the monitor and computer off, straighten bent pins with a small metal tube, like the tip of an empty mechanical pencil or the tip of a retracted pen. If any of the pins have broken off from the cable and are stuck in the small holes of the video connector (on the computer), remove the broken pins using a metal sewing pin (or similar metal pin that is thin and has a point).

Figure: Video connector

3. Connect another video cable to the computer and monitor. If possible use a different cable. For example, if your monitor has an HDMI connector and a DVI connector, use the other cable type if possible. If not, use a new cable of the same type.

Continue to the next step.

Testing the video connection

Turn on the computer. What happens?

• If the monitor works, one of the previous steps corrected the issue. You are done.

• If the monitor remains blank, connect the monitor to another computer using a different cable to determine if the monitor is bad. Skip to the Step connect the monitor to another computer.

• If the monitor shows startup screens but does not show Windows, use the following steps to set the computer to a compatible resolution:

1. Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly when the first startup screen appears.

2. If you are using Windows Vista, select Enable low-resolution video (640 x 480), press Enter, and wait until Windows opens. To set display settings that match the monitor, use the steps in the HP support document, Changing Display Settings, Background Image, and Screen Saver in Windows Vista.

If you are using Windows XP, select Enable VGA Mode, press Enter, and wait until Windows opens. Continue using these steps to set display resolution.

If you are using Windows 98 or ME, select Safe Mode and perform the following steps to enter into a standard VGA mode:

1. Once Windows opens to the desktop in Safe Mode, click Start, and Run.

2. In the Open field type msconfig and press Enter.

The MS Configuration Utility window appears.

3. Click the Advanced button, and select VGA 640 x 480 x 16 if it is available.

4. Click OK and restart the computer.

5. After Windows opens, click Start, and then click Run.

6. In the Open field type msconfig and press Enter.

7. Click the Advanced button, and remove the checkmark next to VGA 640 x 480 x 16.

8. Click OK. Do NOT restart the computer.

Connecting the monitor to a different computer

Using a different cable, connect the monitor to another computer that has video. Turn on the monitor and the newly connected computer. What happens?

Refer to this document for help

Let me know the outcome.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your response. I tried plugging it into a different outlet, still nothing. I plugged the video cable into another monitor and it worked fine. Plus I noticed the monitor in question doesn't do it when the cable isn't connected to the tower....so I am at a comolcom loss as to what the problem may be. 

HP Recommended

@Ceranian

Appreciate your efforts. It is unfortunate that the issue could not be resolved.

I would recommend you to try our other support options. Follow the steps below to reach out to our HP Support team:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further. 

Thank you. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.