Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z24n G2 24-inch Display
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a setup where I am using an HP laptop with an HP USB-C Dock G5, connecting an HP Z24n G2 display and an older Samsung display. I have connected the docking station to the display to be able to use the USB outputs as well.

Unfortunately there is no sound output from the HP display's jack.

Additional info: I chose the display as the sound output and if I remove the USB cable from the dock to the display the sound works just fine, but then I have no USB connections on the display.

I have another laptop connected to the same HP display (a Macbook Pro) where I don't use the dock and with that the sound works.

Any ideas how to make it work?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TamasB -- do you have HDMI cables between your computer and your dock, and from your dock to your monitor?

If so, then the HDMI cable carries both video & audio from your computer to your monitor, as you have observed.

Disconnect the USB cable from your monitor.

Within the Windows "Settings" window, open the "Audio Output" window.

Which "audio output" device is currently active? (Internal sound? HDMI cable?)

Connect the USB cable, and refresh that "audio output" window.

What has changed?

Has the "active" audio-output changed to some other device?

HP Recommended

I have an HDMI cable between my Macbook and the display (without the dock). With this setup the audio is working fine.

I have display port cable from the dock to the display with my HP laptop.

Unfortunately I can't find any "Audio Output" window, but if I click on the audio icon in the task bar, now it says a headset is connected (I think it means the usb cable that should be going from the dock to the display, because there is no headset connected to the dock at the moment).

If I reconnect the USB-C cable to the display it selects a headset I am using for calls, that is connected to the display's USB port.

Strangely, now that I have disconnected and connected the cables again, and chose the display again by clicking on the sound icon in the taskbar, it seems to be working. So I guess it's solved.

HP Recommended

@TamasB -- I have an HDMI cable between my Macbook and the display (without the dock). With this setup the audio is working fine.

Good. The HDMI cable carries both audio & video signals.

Unfortunately I can't find any "Audio Output" window,

Open the Windows "Settings" window, and click "Sound". Half of the just-opened window will be "Audio Input", and the other half will be "Audio Output".

but if I click on the audio icon in the task bar, now it says a headset is connected

Do you have anything plugged-in to the "audio-output" socket on your computer?

Desktop computers always have a green-coloured socket on the back, usually for external speakers.

Some desktop computers also have a similar socket on the front, to make it easy to connect a headset.

Notebook computers typically have internal speakers, and just one "audio-output" socket, again for a headset.

(I think it means the usb cable that should be going from the dock to the display, because there is no headset connected to the dock at the moment).

No. Do you have a "patch" cable, running from "audio-output" on your computer to "audio-input" on the dock?

If I reconnect the USB-C cable to the display it selects a headset I am using for calls, that is connected to the display's USB port.

Yes, some monitors have USB ports, for connecting devices such as a web-camera, or a memory-stick, or a headset.

To use those ports, you need to connect a USB cable from the monitor to your computer, or to your dock, to transmit the data from the web-camera (et cetera) to the computer.

Strangely, now that I have disconnected and connected the cables again, and chose the display again by clicking on the sound icon in the taskbar, it seems to be working. So I guess it's solved.

Great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.