Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
H5P23AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP ENVY 700-059c Desktop PC, Product ID H5P23AA. This is being used by my son as a basic gaming desktop. 

Recently, I started getting BSOD errors with this PC. The blue screen would come and then the system would try to restart itself and go into a loop of blue screen - restart - blue screen.

The error code displayed is :  Stop code VIDEO TDR FAILURE. What failed – atikmpag.sys.

After searching the forums, I figured out this is related to the AMD driver, i tried updating and reinstalling the driver to no avail. I have then  reinstalled Windows 10 on this PC. I have  downloaded the latest driver from both HP and AMD for this device.  I have tried to use the DDU utility (wagnardsoft.com) to completely clean the AMD install and then start afresh. However during the install process of this driver itself the screen goes black and then I get the BSOD error and then it goes into the loop again. To overcome this, I have gone into safe mode, rollback the driver to a generic windows driver and then restart. The error is gone then - however since it is not the proper graphics driver, my son is unable to play the games. Specifications below

:

HP ENVY 700-059c Desktop PC, Product ID H5P23AA

Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40 GhZ

AMD Radeon HD 8470 graphics card with 1 GB onboard RAM.

Windows 10 PRO Version 21H1. OS Build 19043.1165

Current graphics driver - Microsoft Basic display Adapter (Driver version 10.0.19041.868 date 21-June-2006)

Drivers tried (and did not work)

HP AMD Radeo 8470 driver Windows 10 64 bit. File name SP71805

AMD Radeon Crimson Relive 16.2.1 Sep 20 driver.

Would appreciate help from the forum if there is a way out or a different driver that I could try to get it working.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989/model/5368256/documen...

There are no windows 10 drivers for this model here
Either you have an incorrect driver problem, or the graphics card is defective
The best you can do is test a couple of amd drivers.

AMD Radeon™ HD 8470 Drivers & Support

Windows 10 - Édition 64 bits

Information

Windows Legacy Drivers

The latest available drivers appear below. This product has been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned.

Read About Software Support for Legacy Products

Catalyst Software Suite

https://www.amd.com/fr/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000-series-oem/amd-radeon-hd-84...

old i think not ok, but try

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion Prométhée. I had tried with this AMD Driver Catalyst Software Suite, Revision Number 15.7.1 WHQL. I get the same error. Towards the end of the driver install, the screen goes black, a restart happens and after that it gets into the blue screen BSOD error loop. 

If there are any other suggestions would appreciate that. 

If someone can suggest an appropriate graphics card and driver for this PC I would appreciate that as well. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Can you test the card with a Windows 8 computer?
We should be sure that it is the graphics card.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks. I don't have a Windows 8 setup. Nevertheless, this PC has been running Windows 10 for more than a year with this graphics card before this error started happening. Which windows got upgraded to 10, it must have automatically downloaded the drivers for the graphics card and I don't know which ones were those. 

Maybe I should downgrade this PC to Windows 8 and check it out ? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

It is a solution, but a little restrictive!
Either the graphics card can no longer work due to a new version of windows.
Either she is damaged
I'm not sure what better advice
If you have another hard drive, to install windows 8 it would be more practical, you do not touch your windows 10 installation, remove it from the computer and install the second

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.