Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24-xa All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Screen goes black for no reason. 

I shake the mouse and sometimes the screen returns to normal. However, sometimes I need to restart the computer. 

It is happening more and more frequently. 

This is the second Desktop I have as this happened to a previous one. 

I am up to date with downloads and have anti virus protection. 

I don't want to do a hard reset as I will lose expensive adobe software. 

Please can someone help.  I am struggling to access help directly from HP. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Emma106 -- check the "Power" app in the Windows "Settings" screen.

Your screen may be set to enter power-saving mode after 10 minutes of non-use of your computer.

HP Recommended

I can't find the power app?

Sometimes the screen doesn't go black so it can't be that. 

The screen can sort of crackle/ go fuzzy then go black. 

Any more advice?

HP Recommended

@Emma106 --  I can't find the power app?

If you can open the "Settings" window, type power into the input-area, to do a search for the power app.

> Sometimes the screen doesn't go black so it can't be that. 

Yet to be determined that it cannot be that.

> The screen can sort of crackle/ go fuzzy then go black. 

That is not a good sign. If your monitor is separate from your computer, borrow a monitor from friend/family, and try your computer with their monitor. If your screen is integrated into a notebook computer, does your computer have a "video-out" port where you can connect a monitor? Does that monitor exhibit the same symptoms, at the same time?

How old is your computer? Is it still covered by the one-year HP Warranty? Did you purchase additional years, through an Extended Warranty?

HP Recommended

Thank you for you response. 

It was set at going to sleep after 5 hours. I have changed that to 'never'. However, I have noticed the screen going black when in use under 5 hours? 

> That is not a good sign. If your monitor is separate from your computer, borrow a monitor from friend/family, and try your computer with their monitor. If your screen is integrated into a notebook computer, does your computer have a "video-out" port where you can connect a monitor? Does that monitor exhibit the same symptoms, at the same time?

The monitor is integrated in with the desktop face. I don't really understand what you mean and only family and friends have iPads or laptops really.

The warranty ended this year in July. The first one I bought ( from Currys) was Feb 2020, the same issue was happening and I returned it in July and got an exchange. I don't have extended warranty. 

Very unhappy with the issue. 

HP Recommended

@Emma106 --  It could be a failing video-adapter inside your computer, or a failing internal screen.

Two thoughts:

1. try shopping at a local "Thrift Store". They might have a very-inexpensive computer screen that you (hopefully) can connect to the "video-output" port on the back of your All-In-One, to see if both the "internal" and this "external" monitor go dark at the same time.

2. take your computer to a local owner/computer store. They will connect one of their screens to your All-In-One, to see if both monitors go dark at the same time.  They should be able to do some extensive trouble-shooting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.