cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wrheat
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

I need to replace or add an additional internal WIFI antenna tuned to 5GHz in order to use 802.11ac.

HP Recommended
h9-1215t Phoenix Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop came with one antenna (HP Part # 600050-001).  I assume it does not cover 5GHz. I have replaced the Raylink WIFI with Intel AC7260 PCIe Mini Half Card.  Will your antenna, HP Part # 812046-001, mount on the top of my chassis under the top bezel? What are my options here? I do not want an external antenna. Thank you.  My CPU is Intel i7.

IMG_5026.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @wrheat,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are looking to replace or add internal WiFi antenna for your HP Desktop PC. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you purchase the Wireless card from HP or from Store? If this is from a store, I would suggest you can check with them if this card will be supported by the previous antenna. 

Where is the antenna connected on the picture which you have shared?

HP does not recommend or support, however you can try this at your own discretion. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
wrheat
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am attempting to convey my exact situation.

The antenna is mounted on the top of the steel chassis, under the plastic top bezel.  The top of the steel chassis has not one, but six places to mount internal antennas.  As you can see in my previous picture, its location is designated as 'ANT 3'.  The original Ralink RT5390 card has been replaced with an Intel AC7260, which now resides in the PCIe half mini card slot, near the middle of the motherboard.  The old Ralink card came with my computer, which I purchased from HP a few years ago.  The main reason for replacement was Bluetooth, which the Ralink card does not provide, nor does it support 802.11ac.

The Intel AC7260 is working nicely and furthermore, I can now WIFI on 5GHz/802.11ac, and connect to Bluetooth devices.  The new wireless card was not purchased from HP, although I do not know how technically that would make a difference.

I am confused why HP would not know if its own antenna was designed to support the 802.11ac/5GHz.  I don't believe it does, since the original Ralink wireless card did not.

My antenna is working, but I was just wondering if your newer PCs, that support the 802.11ac standard, have a more optimal antenna that could be mounted onto my HP Phoenix chassis in the same fashion.  As there is one more open coax jack on my new wireless card.

I have found it very difficult to find a source for an antenna mounted in this manner.  If you can help, it would be appeciated.  If I find the solution, I will let you know.

Here is a link to the most information I could obtain from the internet about my HP antenna.  It's not much.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Inc-ANTENNA-PIFA802-11-600050-001/dp/B009NB2S7U

HP h9-1215t (Top Bezel).JPG

Ralink RT5390 (old wireless).JPG

Intel AC 7260 (new wireless).JPG

Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @wrheat, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and glad that the 3rd party wireless card is working fine on your computer. 

Please click here for the list of parts tested on your computer. 

The part installed on your computer by you is not tested on your computer and I do not have any information on any 3rd party parts.

If the wireless card is working fine, you continue to use the wireless card on your computer. 

Hope this helped. 

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation