MusicGuy1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Line-in mutes after enabling

HP Recommended
HP 110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After years of successflully recording to a computer, a problem. The line-in is in the mute mode and the levels are flat. I enable the line-in, raise the levels and then record. After seconds up to a couple minutes, the levels drop and I'm recording nothing. After right clicking the volume symbol and selecting recording devices and then levels-tab, it is again muted and the levels flat. I've done the troubleshooting and it finds no problem. Why is this happening?

1 REPLY 1
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,611 3,965
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MusicGuy1

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there are issues with the Line-in as it mutes on its own after enabling it,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you change or set it to defaults?

If you haven't, here’s a few things you could attempt: 

By default, Windows 10 automatically enables microphones and line-in ports.
Use the following steps to set the microphone/line-in port to be the default port and to configure the recording levels: 

• If the Recording tab in the sound window is not selected, open the Sound window and click the Recording tab using the instructions in Step 1. 

 NOTE: 

Your desktop or notebook PC configuration may include different components than shown here. 

Figure : Example desktop PC with a Realtek onboard audio hardware configuration) 

Microphone port

 working and set as Default 

1. Line In - Working 

2. Digital In (S/PDIF port) - Working 

3. Stereo Mix (Software mixer) -   Disabled 

4. If multiple microphones or line-in ports are available, select the port that you want to use. Click Set Default to make this device the default audio input device. 

5. If the device you want to use contains a small circle with an arrow pointing down, the device is disabled. To enable the device, right-click the device name and select Enable. 

6. With the device selected, click Properties, and then click the Levels tab. 
  7. Adjust the slider to 75. 
  8. If Mute is on, click the mute button to un-mute the device. The mute button should show as a blue speaker without a red circle. 
  9. If Microphone Boost is available, adjust to +20.0 dB. 
  10. Click OK to make the changes. 
  11. Test the microphone using the instructions in Step 1 to determine if Windows is able to detect a signal from the microphone or line-in being used. If you have performed all the steps and the microphone or source device still does not work, the audio ports or sound hardware on the computer might be bad. 

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation