cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_C22
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Network Controller is Corrupted (I think)

HP Recommended
pavilion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,  I'm using a HP Pavilion 500-205t CTO Desktop PC and I'm having problems with the network.  I think I picked up some malware that corrupted the realtek controller, and now I can only connect to the internet wirelessly (we had been using a hardwired LAN connector prior to this problem).  Now, when I disable the wireless connection, the lan connection icon shows up at the bottom right of the display and has an 'X' through it.  I talked to a Verizon tech on the phone (we have a Verizon DSL wireless modem), and she said malware had probably corrupted the ethernet software/drivers.  When I look in the Device Manager under Network Adapters, only wireless and bluetooth are displayed; no LAN connections are listed.

I downloaded the '3C14 Original Realtek NIC Driver' file from HP's web site (recommended for this PC) and ran the program.  It ran for a bit and then gave me the following error message "Realtek Network Controller Device:    Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update.  Update has been cancelled. (9996)'

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  The wireless internet connection is adequate, but slower than the LAN....

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bill_C22,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues while connecting to the internet using Wired connection. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC:

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

• Since you've already reinstalled drivers, I would recommend using an Wireless  and update your Wired drivers using this link  

• Update the bios by visiting this link or through support assistant using an Wireless connection.  

• Now try to connect to the wired connection..    

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 7)

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue with the wired connection, and as you have mentioned this could be due to malware that could have corrupted your PC. Then the only solution would be to perform a system recovery using the recovery media.

Did you create a set of recovery media soon after purchase? If so, please go ahead and use the recovery media to reinstall the Operating system. 

If you haven't created one, then you  can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

To know more about obtaining the recovery media, please click here

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Bill_C22
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jeet Singh,   

Thanks for your help!  I should clarify (please see my original post); my computer is not a laptop, it's an HP Pavilion 500-205t CTO desktop PC.  It is connected to a Verizon DSL Wireless Modem (with LAN connections).  It used to run perfectly with the LAN cable connected to the PC, and the modem also worked well with a secondary 'remote' laptop.  About two months ago the LAN stopped working (although the secondary 'remote' laptop continued to run).  A call to Verizon got us in touch with a technician who told us that the Ethernet drivers were probably corrupted.  The technician was, however, able to get the deskop PC connected to the internet through the modem's wireless connection.

I used your hard reset suggestion on the PC; it operated as you described -- power light came on for a second, then went out.  I reconnected the power cord and rebooted the system.  Once the system was operating, I went to Device Manager and looked at the network adapters section.  The only items listed there were either Bluetooth or Wireless; there was no listing for LAN.

I then tried to re-load the Ethernet Driver I got from HP's web site that was recommended for the our desktop PC (3C14 Original Realtek NIC Driver (Towers Win7 64-bit)).  I ran this progam as administrator.  The program started to load, but then gave me this error message: " Realtek Network Controller Device:  Your system does not meet the  minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled (9996)".   I can't understand this.  This was the file that was recommended by HP for this PC configuration, and as far as I can tell, the system does meet the mimimum requrements.

I also tried to boot the PC by using the repair disk (CD) that I had created during the original setup of the PC.  I used the 'restore' feature, but got an error telling me that there were no files in the Restore section of the hard drive (or words to that effect, I can't remember the exact phrase).

Needless to say, I'm stymied!  Can you offer me additional suggestions?  

Once again, many thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
Barachiel
Retired
Retired
6,247 6,228 314 467
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bill_C22 ,

Thank you for responding,It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  * Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect. 

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation