Did you mean: 
kzalas
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Problem connecting wireless printer to desktop computer

HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530

Is it possible to connect a wireless printer with a computer that uses a cable internet connection? I do have a wireless network available, and my printer is connected to that wireless network, but the computer is connected with an internet cable. Is that why the computer is having a hard time finding the printer, or could there be another reason?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,967
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kzalas

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there's an issue connecting wireless printer to the desktop computer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Does your computer have a wireless card that could be used for Wireless direct?

Do you have a router at your place that could be connected to both the PC and your printer?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to make it work:

Step 1: Prepare for the connection

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password, and turn on your router, printer, and computer.

1. Gather the following items:

• Network name: The network name is the SSID (Service Set Identifier).

• Network password: The password might also be called the WEP key or WPA security passphrase.

• A computer connected to your wireless network

• Internet access: HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL for software downloads, using Web Services, and getting printer updates.

2. Make sure the router and computer are turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network to which you want to connect the printer. Turn on the printer and place it close to the computer and within range of the router during the setup procedure.

3. Disconnect any USB or Ethernet cable from the printer, if necessary.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Click here for instructions on printing via HP Wifi direct.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation