1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Problem with Network adapter - Red X icon

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem some of you may have encounted before.

There is a red X across the network and WiFi icon which is stopping any kind of connection to the internet. I have tried a few things and the problem is clearly not my WiFi modem as I am using my phone for this.

I have tried: resetting my computer many times, turning of allowing my computer to turn of the adapter when the battery is low, in the power management tab (which has worked in the past one time), my laptops battery is also very low and turns off whenever not charging.

It says the problem is that the "Network cable is unplugged)?

My adapter is a realtek PCle FE,

Any help would be greatly appreciated
1 REPLY 1
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 488 952
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @Jon7890

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where the wireless/network icon has a Red X and you are unable to access the internet. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

However, for me to be able to assist you better, I would require more information.

Is the wireless adapter listed in Device Manager?

If it is listed, is it enabled?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Have you tried the network troubleshooter available when you do a right-click on the network icon?

Are the wireless networks listed when click on the network icon?

Please check if the wireless adapter is enabled in device manager (check if there are any errors)

Open network and sharing center by doing right-click on the network icon the taskbar. 

On the network and sharing center screen, select the option on the left - change adapter settings.

This would display the network adapters on the computer. 

Right-click on the wireless adapter and check if it is enabled and try to connect to your network. 

Please uninstall the wireless adapter listed in device manager, delete the driver when prompted. Restart the computer and install the driver from this link.

For other troubleshooting steps, refer to this HP Article

Run HP Support Assistant to check if all the other drivers are updated on the computer once you are connected to the internet on the computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation