Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

ScanToPCActivation popup freezes my computer

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I keep getting ScanToPCActivationApp.exe warning saying my printer is not connected to network. I've written before and your expert didnät help. I went to Micrsoft Community and they said problem with HP and more people need to complain to HP. Problem isnät with my ability to connect to network. My problem is that when the warning comes on my computer freezes. Boy, it just happened again.

One other problem is that when I try to print from computer, the HP seems to default to color which I assume is more expensive than black ink. How do I get black as default. 

I have  a  year old Lenovo PC installed with Windows 10 and Chrome and an HP Officejet Pro 6830 on my network. I have trouble finding this site so it is way easier if I could get a response to my email (removed content) or a phone number to call. Thanks, Olof Hellen

6 REPLIES 6
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I would like to inform you that your post has been edited due to personal information. From our Rules of Participation: Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. For your safety and safety of others, please do not post or share your personal email addresses, telephone numbers, last names, case numbers, serial numbers and product ID's. If you need to be contacted directly, please send a private message or subscribe to the thread so that you can be notified when there are replies. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply. Thank you

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @okhellen,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer freezes when ScanToPCActivation comes up, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Recommend you open task manager by doing a right-click on the taskbar. 

Disable ScanToPCActivation from the startup items and this should resolve the issue you are facing. 

Refer to this HP Forums post for assistance. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
okhellen
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ScanToPC.. came back. Why, I didn't do anything after I went to Tasks and clicked "End Task". I Just went in to Rask Manager and clicked End Task again.

0 Kudos
Rainbow23
Retired
Retired
7,692 7,685 427 601
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @okhellen,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'print /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'print /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
okhellen
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the last proposal. I would ask that you see if it works as described with W10. I think you are suggesting duplicate moves. Somehow it eliminated one of the printer displays but left me with "error HPOfficeJet Pro 6830". I don't know what error means but it has been there before I wrote. MOst important, if I check printer in device manager it has the printer 6830 listed without "error" but says it is working properly and  yet I still have the PCActivation freeze. It says in device manager that I can disable . What link are suggesting when you say "install the drivers from the link". and what is the remove button because when I try to do through your steps I have no prompt "Remove driver and driver package"

0 Kudos
okhellen
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I replied that this solution did not solve my problem of my computer freezing. Again I ask if you can follow the 4 step solution with W10 and see if it makes sense. On step 1 the first 2 steps seem duplicative.  After that I don't have a clear start menu. If I go to Task Menu I get Printers. I can end task on the HP but ScanToPCActivation comes back when I open computer the next time. Task Menu however says printer is working fine. Finally if I get to Print server properties I have no Drivers tab and then as to Step 2 I find no link to another driver. Maybe I need more detailed instructions but the instructions have to sync with the menus I find on W10.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation