Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saiani
Level 3
30 17 2 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

desktop computer slow to connect to the internet.

HP Recommended
Pavilion 510-P136
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer connects to the internet just fine untill I connect a second moniter to the VGA port, with the second monitor connected at boot up i get the internet icon on the systen try that says "connected to Internet" but if I try to use a browser i get "can not connect to server" for about two minutes, after the two minute wait it works just fine. If I disconnect the second monitor and boot up I can use the browser as soon as the icon is on the system tray.  Is this normal?

8 REPLIES 8
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Saiani,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the computer you are having issues with slow internet issues on your HP Desktop PC. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did this happen after an update?

Have you tried to perform any troubleshooting steps before posting this on HP Forums?

What happens if you connect to the internet using Wired connection?

In the meantime, while you respond let's try these steps here:

I would suggest please update the BIOS, Chipset drivers as well as Wi-Fi drivers on your PC from our HP Support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Saiani
Author
Level 3
30 17 2 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All chip set and drivers have been updated. Do not know when it started as I don't shut the pc down very often, I just log off.  I am using a wired ethernet connection, it seems to connect just fine with only the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected, as i connect different items it continues to jet worse, I connect a camera, external hard drive, battery back up and a second monitor(VGA). The Monitor and camers seem to have the most effect on it . I took it to Best Buy and they ran all thier dianostics on it and found no hardware/software  problems and no malware or viruses.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,967
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Saiani

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service.  

If you've already updated the BIOS as well as the drivers you've mentioned about, 

It looks like you may want to run an extensive system test using the HP Hardware Diagnostics tool: Click here for instructions.

(I understand the store techs have done a test, but this one is way different than their tests)

Please capture the 24 character failure code if the test fails and reply back with the details for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Saiani
Author
Level 3
30 17 2 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran the Quick test and no problem was detected. I will run the full test this week end.  One other bit of information, after running the computer at Best Buy with only a mouse, monitor and keyboard connected i bring it home and connect only the mouse, monitor and keyboard and upon start up it connects to the internet immediately, but only on the first start up. 

0 Kudos
Saiani
Author
Level 3
30 17 2 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have zeroed in on the cause for my problem, if i go thru a couple power off start ups with only the HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse connected it boots up very fast and i have instant internet access. so then i connect each of my usb components one at a time doing a power off start up after connecting each one and it has no problem at all. I now have my camera, back up hard drive and battery back up connected. Now i connect my 2nd monitor which is a VGA connection( HP 2011x monitor) and now when I power down and boot up it is obvious that the start up is much slower and now it takes minutes to access the internet. Does any of this make any sense? I have repeated it a number of times and the results are the same.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Saiani,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have already tried updating the drivers as well as you have run the test which seems to have passed without any errors, however, you are still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

I just wanted to check if you are using any splitter, as this could be one of the reasons why you are having this issue.

Next thing, that I can think of is to turn off the PC and then boot the computer into safe mode with networking and check if the issue persists. 

If there are no issues in safe mode with networking, as this uses basic drivers, this definitely suggests an issue with the video drivers.

HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Saiani
Author
Level 3
30 17 2 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took the unit to Best Buy to see if they have any idea what is going on. Thier initial responce was "that can't happen. But appen.they haven't tried it yet, but I can assure them that it does happen. No I am not using ant splitters, one monitor is connected to the HDMI and the othe is to the VGA. The HDMI unit is a Samaung S22E310 and the VGA unit is a HP 2011x.

0 Kudos
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,530
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Saiani

Thanks for replying.

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office, I'm replying to you. 

Since all the hardware is fine, you could try to reinstall Windows and check if that helps. There could be a driver conflict due to which it might be happening. 

Performing a system recovery will delete all the information and restore the PC to its original factory settings. You may refer to this HP article to know how to perform a system recovery. 

Hope this does the trick. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation