cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jonmboxer
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Blue screen loop - but no display

HP Recommended
Phoenix H9 1033
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So last night iTunes needed to update drivers for my wife's old iPhone. That seemed to fail and windows said it must restart to resolve the issue. When attempting to reboot, the blue screen appeared saying we're sorry, windows encountered an error and must restart....etc,etc.". When it rebooted, the display did not come on and the screen just said "monitor going to sleep". I found this odd so I let it sit there for 5 minutes, nothing. I powered down the pc and unplugged the power and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes.  I plugged it back in, booted it up, same issue. The pc seemed to restart maybe 45seconds -1 min after, but no display. I turned it off again, and replaced the video card with another... same problem, no display. 

I then removed the case and re-seated all of the devices inside (hdd, ram, video card, cmos to reset BIOS). The result was the same upon plugging it back in. After that I figured somehow it was the motherboard and HDD, so I ended up ordering a new one which will be here shortly. But I'm curious as to what others think it could be?

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Kavya-5
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I would recommend you to first run the hardware diagnostics in BIOS. Please follow the below steps : 1. Please restart the unit, tap F2 to enter the hardware diagnostics page

2. Please select component test in the list

3. Select the hard drive test and run the extensive test. 

4. Once you have the results, please repeat steps 1 nd 2 to run the memory test.

This way, you will be able to confirm if the hard drive or memory is defective and causing the issue. If not, the sytemboard could be defective. 

0 Kudos
jonmboxer
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is no display so I cannot see anything on the screen.....

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Kavya-5
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please try a dryboot on the PC and check if the display comes up. 

You could perform the Dry Boot/ Release flee power by referring the steps provided below which would help you remove any static residual charges in the desktop : 

1.Reseat the CMOS battery, ATX connector and the power supply

2. Remove the power cord from the socket

3. Please remove all the external devices such as PC cards, USB devices, printer, or the PC-cards installed in the PCMCIA slots, also remove the additional memory if installed. 

4. Keep the power on button pressed down for two minutes to remove the residual charge on the desktop.

5.Power on the unit normally

If the issue still persists, yes you would first have to replace the systemboard and if needed the hard drive as well. 

0 Kudos
jonmboxer
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks I'll try that later. I just find it odd that after a failed driver update for an iPhone that this would happen....

0 Kudos
jonmboxer
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried these steps and the display is still blank. I even tried another HDD in it just to see if the screen would appear, nothing; still no display. I tried both HDMI and DVI connectors just in case that was the issue. I reset the CMOS / BIOS as well but nothing. I'm hoping it's just the motherboard which I am replacing. Is there possiblity that this could be a CPU issue?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation