Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Message 1 of 7 (782 Views)

Efficient use of memory

Is there a way to get my machines to show me more detail about just what they are using memory for?  When I try the task manager, it tells me that about half the memory is cached, but with little hint of just what for.   Most of the time that 32-bit tasks (at least one on each processor core) use more than half the physical memory (4 GB total on my SR5125CL, 8 GB total each on my d5200t and my dv3t), programs that need keyboard or mouse entries stat responding very slowly to the keyboard or the mouse.  Each machine is already at the maximum memory the motherboard can hold.

Vista SP2 with nearly all of the updates

running BOINC projects nearly 24/7

I've already tried asking on the Microsoft Vista forums.  No useful answer.

I've already tried the Vista help files.  They said little more than that most users don't need to know just what cached memory is.

The task manager appears to tell me about only the parts of memory that programs currently occupy, with very little information about the rest.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (780 Views)

Re: Efficient use of memory

[ Edited ]

Task Manager --> Processes will show you all of the active processes and the respective working set size of each.

If your are running a 32 bit operating system then at best you'll see is 3.5 gb available as hardware and system reserve areas will allocate memory locations.  You may only see 3 gb available. Video cards that "share" memory will also take away memory but that can be remedied by replacing the video card that has onboard dedicated memory.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Teacher
Message 3 of 7 (766 Views)

Task manager -> processes shows me only about half of the total memory as being in use for anything, usually even when I see significant slowdowns.

Where can I find whether my graphics boards (6150SE, 9800GT, and G105M, all with Nvidia chips) share the main memory?  What about similar information for the GT240 boards I'm thinking of buying?

Provost
Message 4 of 7 (757 Views)

You might want to try some problem determination on what might be causing the slow downs.

1. Download cookienator (it's a freebie) and clean house.

2. Right mouse click on your hard drive and select the General Tab and do disk clean up

3. Now defrag the hard drive

Any improvement? If no, the go to the RUN window and enter:

msconfig

Go to the Start up TAB and disable all --- apply. Then go to the Services TAB, check the box to hide all Microsoft services then disable the others --- apply and now reboot.  Has the issues gone away?  Now if your system is not running better then go back to the RUN Window and enter msconfig and re-enable everything under the Startup Tab and the Services Tab and reboot. If your problem went away, then it's a matter on re-enabling the disabled services and startup items a little at a time until you find the culprit(s).

Video cards sharing main memory is tried to the card type and card manufacturer.  On board video cards will typically use main memory.  The NVIDIA 9800 GT has it's own video card memory.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (739 Views)

I know you might want to hear this, but if you are having issues with not enough memory, changing to a 64-bit system can work wonders.

My Windows 7 64bit zips along. I would really recommend the effort involved to reinstall!

Chris

Find me at AllAboutChris.co.uk!
Master's Graduate
Message 6 of 7 (725 Views)

I've found Microsoft Sysinternal's utility Process Explorer to be invaluable for looking up details about processes, memory, etc.   You can get it at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

-dm (a long-time HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Teacher
Message 7 of 7 (632 Views)

[ Edited ]

Disk cleanup and defragmention helped a little, but not very much.  I did, however, find that none of the automatic disk defragmentation runs for the previous few months had finished successfully, perhaps due to the rather large number of files on each of my desktop computers; a manual run took a few days on my d5200t and around two days on my SR5125CL.

I'm seeing the problems both on my SR5125CL running 32-bit Vista and even worse on  my d5200t running 64-bit Vista, so I don't expect just switching to the 64-bit version to help significantly.

I'm having enough problems converting my Windows Mail databases into Windows Live Mail versions that I'm in no hurry to switch to Windows 7, which doesn't offer a Windows Mail program.

I've had Process Explorer for months; it doesn't seem to say much of anything about the sections of memory that are hard to use, since I can't identify any process they are attached to.  Windows Task Manager says they are cached, but almost nothing else, and never explains just what cached means.

Elsewhere, I've seen some advice that I need to check and probably change the registry settings controlling the SuperFetch feature of Vista, but without adequate information on those registry values to guess the names of all of them and what values I can change them to.  Can you find such information?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation