Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (37,328 Views)
Accepted Solution

Error 1068: Task Scheduler cannot start, defrag impossible

I tried to defrag my sister's computer and ran into a problem.  The defrag would not run because the task scheduler wouldn't start.  Long story short:  Windows 7 Operating System.  In my attempts to solve the problem, here are the messages I kept receiving:

"Windows would not start the Task Scheduler Service on Local Computer."

and

"ERROR 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

PLEASE, I need help.  Any ideas?  Do you need any more information?

Thank you in advance,

Laura

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Error 1068: Task Scheduler cannot start, defrag impossible

Hi Laura,

Open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and then open Services.  Check these two services first.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)  This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

Windows Event Log                     This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

If you need to change the settings of the two services above, right click the service and select Properties.  Select Automatic from the dropdown box and click Apply.  When done, click the Start button to see if the service will start correctly.

Task Scheduler                             This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

If you have made changes, see if the Disk Defrag utility will now run.

Let me know if this doesn't help the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 10 (37,296 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Laura,

Open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and then open Services.  Check these two services first.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)  This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

Windows Event Log                     This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

If you need to change the settings of the two services above, right click the service and select Properties.  Select Automatic from the dropdown box and click Apply.  When done, click the Start button to see if the service will start correctly.

Task Scheduler                             This service should show as Started and the start-up type should be Automatic.

If you have made changes, see if the Disk Defrag utility will now run.

Let me know if this doesn't help the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (37,283 Views)

You are my hero!  Thank you!!

Laura

Provost
Message 4 of 10 (37,282 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Laura,

You're welcome, I'm glad you've got it sorted out Smiley Happy

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Student
Message 5 of 10 (36,541 Views)

Hi Dave

I had problem trying to perform a defragmentation on my computer.   I seeked help from HP hotline and after a few troubleshooting I was told to reformat my hard disk.  Luckily, I managed to get my defragmentation working after reading your response to Laura.

Thanks

Albert - Singapore

Top Student
Message 6 of 10 (36,023 Views)

I am going to share few tricks with you that have helped various users. You too perform these tricks in order to solve the said error:

1. Start Dependent Services for Windows Firewall
2. Start Dependent Services for the Print Spooler Service
3. Fix Registry and Clear Web Browser Cache
4. Start Dependent Services for Internet Connection Sharing

The Error 1068 in Windows 7 may still occur if your registry is not properly configured.
If you have already been experiencing the error 1068 error. You can also get some help from this article Error 1068  Windows 7.

Hope it fix your problem.

Student
Message 7 of 10 (32,643 Views)

I scheduled defrag in task scheduler on 2 computers (xp) both say in the scheduled task box....could not start.....i checked to make sure my task scheduler was set to automatic and it is...so what is keeping defrag from automatically running at a scheduled time?

Student
Message 8 of 10 (20,185 Views)

Hey, I've been having the same problem but, I cannot edit the RPC. But the RPC & Event Log are set to automatic and are started. And I can't edit the Task Scheduler at all, just like the RPC. 

Student
Message 9 of 10 (17,182 Views)

HI David! 

Sorry I'm including myself on this thread as I am experiencing the same issue as that of Laura's but after doing those changes on the services log, disk defragmenter would still not run even if I right click > run as administrator. The cmd window opens briefly and has a few lines written on it but I cannot read it as it closes fast after.  

Can you advise further as the help line already advised me to reformat, and I want to avoid that situation as much as possible right now with exams and all. 

Thanks 

Cassie

Student
Message 10 of 10 (13,520 Views)

I can't defrag my windows 7. There appears to be an error with the Task Scheduler it is disabled and i can't change the designation because it is greyed out.

I have folowed the instructions you gave in your message to Laura

But how can i alter the Task Scheduler designation.

I know you posted this message more than 4 years ago but hope somebody can help

Thanks

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation