Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Aduffyqs Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Error code: 0xc0000185

I have a HP Pavillion G6 running windows 8.

When i power the computer on I get the following error on a blue screen

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.... etc etc

Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings

When I press ESC i get some options F1 system information etc

I have tried all of these options and nothing works.

Any help welcome.

Anthony

8 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2376 168 524
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post

Ho Aduffyqs,

Here is some info on fixing a corrupted UEFI Partition:

Firstly, boot from a Windows 8 recovery drive (CD/DVD/USB). If you don't have a recovery drive (and this is likely because most new machines don't come with one), then you will either have to install the drive into another Windows 8 machine or obtain a Windows 8 recovery drive, or boot from the recovery partition of the boot drive (If this option works at this point). Don't even bother with the automated recovery process, it will not work as it cannot find a Windows partition.

1. You will need to choose the language and time settings.
  2. Choose 'Repair Your Computer'.
  3. Choose 'Troubleshooting'.
  4. Choose "Advanced Options'.
  5. Next choose 'Command Prompt'.

Next, we're going to use the DISKPART tool to verify that the UEFI partition has a drive letter assignment.

Enter 'DISKPART' (Enter)

(In this test case we removed all other drives except the boot HDD and DVD, so we know the disk 0 is our boot HDD)

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list vol

There was no drive letter assignment to our UEFI partition (volume 3) so we need to assign a drive letter.

DISKPART> sel vol 3

Volume 3 is the selected volume.

1). If you know that you have a extra drive letter available use it here, otherwise skip to 2.
     DISKPART> assign letter=E:

2). If you are unsure what the drive chain is or if you don't know what drive letters are avalable use:
     DISKPART> assign

If all went well, DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point. You can verify that a drive letter was assigned by "DISKPART> list vol" again.

Exit DiskPart tool (Enter EXIT)

Next, we need to change to the boot folder on the UEFI volume.

Change to the UEFI volume into the boot folder. Use drive E: here or whatever drive letter was assigned above.

cd /d E:\Boot\

Now we will need to enter three command lines to repair the BCD store.

For MBR drives: (Drives < 1TB)

1. bootrec /fixboot
  2. bootrec /fixmbr
  3. bootrec /rebuildmbr

For GPT drives: (Drives > 1TB)

1. bootrec /fixboot
  2. bootrec /rebuildbcd

That's it, if all went well the BCD store should be repaired, and the system will once again boot.

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" if your problem has been solved.

0 Kudos
Aduffyqs Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post

Thanks for the suggestion but not sure how to carry them out.

After the blue screen error message I get an option to press ESC to get to another menu.  These are the options I have

F1 - System Information

F2 - System Diagnostics

F9 - Boot Device Options

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - System Recovery

Enter - Continue Startup

Not sure how I carry out your instructions given these options?

Anthony

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2376 168 524
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post

Hi Anthony,

You need a recovery drive, either USB or CD/DVD.

If you don't have one, can you make a recovery drive on another Win 8 computer?

I need additional information: your PC's product number (instructions here) and the factory installed operating. For example, Win 7 64 bit or Win 8 64 bit.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Aduffyqs Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post

Not sure about access to another Win 8 computer.  I'll ask around.

My product number is C6S45EA#ABU

The model is g6-2210SA

Its a Win 8 64 bit factory installation.

Thanks for help again.

Anthony

0 Kudos
Aduffyqs Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post

Still no luck with getting laptop working, so any help would be appreciated.

A friend of mine downloaded a restore disk for Win8 onto a USB key and I inserted this into the computer and tried to boot it and just got the same error.

I then went into the UEFI setting which is the only option the blue screen gives me

F1 - System Information

F2 - System Diagnostics

F9 - Boot Device Options

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - System Recovery

Then accessed boot device options and set the preference for the boot order to the USB or external disc.  Again nothing happens.

Can anyone give me any pointers here?

Anthony

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2376 168 524
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post

Hi,

Did your friend create a Microsoft Recovery Drive on his Win 8 PC per instructions here?

You should be able to boot the USB recovery drive and then try using command prompt to fix the MBR per my previous post.

If all else fails you may be able to refresh or reset your PC or perform an HP factory recovery. You should also obtain access to system restore and automatic repair via the USB recovery drive.

Did you create a set of HP Recovery discs for your Notebook?  For some unknown reason to me your HP PC support site does not provide the option of ordering recovery discs and Computer Surgeon's is not offering a recovery disc set either.

You may have to contact HP Support if none of my suggestions help and no one else has any additional suggestions to fix your dilemma.

I hope someone else can provide a fix but sometimes you have bite the bullet and rebuild the PC from scratch.

Jaco

0 Kudos
mflagg Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post

I'm having this same issue... How do I get to the starting point in your instructions? I have no screen that comes up with the options you mention.

"Here is some info on fixing a corrupted UEFI Partition:

Firstly, boot from a Windows 8 recovery drive (CD/DVD/USB). If you don't have a recovery drive (and this is likely because most new machines don't come with one), then you will either have to install the drive into another Windows 8 machine or obtain a Windows 8 recovery drive, or boot from the recovery partition of the boot drive (If this option works at this point). Don't even bother with the automated recovery process, it will not work as it cannot find a Windows partition.

1. You will need to choose the language and time settings.
  2. Choose 'Repair Your Computer'.
  3. Choose 'Troubleshooting'.
  4. Choose "Advanced Options'.
  5. Next choose 'Command Prompt'."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I am sure I can complete the rest of the steps if I could just get to the starting point in your instructions. Thanks.
0 Kudos
JohnNomend Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post

Hi Jaco, you seem like you could help me. :)

(My PC: HP Pavilion G7)

I have the same error (0xc0000185) and I do have access to another Windows 8 PC and I did get a 32gigabyte flash drive and put a recovery drive onto the flash drive. So, I put the flash drive into my corrupt PC and then while it was booting up, I hit F9 to load up "Change Boot Device Order". In the "Change Boot Device Order", it does list my flashdrive that the recovery is on, but I'm unsure what to do from here. What do I boot from?

Thank you please reply!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation