Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

External display issues

HP Recommended
Hp ENVY 23n012 Beats Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i tried to connect a external display through HDMI on the Envy 23n012, but when i do, both screens go blank

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 846
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @KevinCraft,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are trying to connect an external display to your Beats All-in-One system using an HDMI connection.  I am happy to help with this.

If you are pressing the HDMI In button on the one side when you connect an external display, don't. That button is used to toggle the HDMI connection in the back into an Input, for when you want to the use the All-in-One as a display for another device that outputs HDMI, like a game console or portable BlueRay play or something similar. If the HDMI button is pressed it toggles the built in display to receive a signal from the HDMI port, and if another display is connected, neither is getting any video signal so both would go dark. 

Please see one or both of these documents: HP Desktop PCs - Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer (Windows 10)HP Desktop PCs - Connecting Monitors and TVs to Your PC (Windows 10, 😎, and let me know if they help.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No im not doing that, my project settings are set to extend, and so are the intel graphic driver settings and when i connect my external display via hdmi, the external monitor enters powersave mode (which i cant turn off) and the computer just goes black, andsometimes it flickers back to the desktop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 846
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried connecting the same display to another system to see if it will work properly on that system as an extended, preferably using the same HDMI cable initially?

Next try a different HDMI cable if you find the original one is not working properly. 

If the display does not work with a different computer, then it is probably an issue with the display.  If the display works fine on a different computer, then try updating the drivers on the Envy 23-n012.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Display and cable are fine, Intel drivers are the latest
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 846
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I pulled up the HP Beats Special Edition 23-n012 All-in-One Desktop PC Product Specifications, and it indicates that the one HDMI port on the back is only an input.

In that case, to connect a second display, you would need to use a USB to HDMI adapter, or a different flavor of that cable type.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

id really rather not buy a usb to hdmi adapter.... is there any other way to fix this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

also if i use a usb to hdmi adapter with a usb 3.0 cable, will it still work with usb 2.0 ports

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 450 846
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As that system only has an HDMI input, and no other video output connections, your only option is to add a video output using a USB adapter of some sort which is essentially an external graphics card.

Also note that all of the ports on the back of your system are USB 3.0.  As to whether a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter will be compatible with a USB 2.0 port, is something to verify with the manufacturer of that cable or adapter.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation