Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-b022a All-in-On
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Pc is a 

HP Pavilion 23-b022a All-in-One Desktop PC

Diagnostics show Hard Disk Short DST failed. Can it be rebooted OR if not can I retrieve my files?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If the computer does reboot, it could be the last time.  When the hard drive fails or fails the short test, it might be possible to get something off of it but donot expect it.  It would be best to remove the hard drive and reinstall Windows on the new hard drive.  Then once that is completed, buy an external case or at least similar to one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fosmon-High-Quality-USB-2.0-to-External-IDE-SATA-Converter-Cable-HDD-Kit-...

Then connect the failed drive to that to see if it will give any data up.  Do not try to connect it as an internal drive connection before trying the data retrieval with the adapter.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi there.  It looks like we will loose data/files. No amount of intervention will reboot it. Will have to get techie in to deal with hard drive. Thanks for your input.

Regards Dave and Tui

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.