cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rbbm12
Level 2
11 7 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Finding duplicate file erqaser

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi again, i need to ask if anybody can direct me, advise me in recommending a safe free duplicate file remover. I do have a fix-it professional program on my cpu, however when i utilize it, it takes so long to scan and find all duplicates that when i go to delete the thing locks up and i am stuck. I've tried three times already with the same result each time. I was and still am somewhat concerned that if i run a duplicate erase program that it will erase all file instead of just the duplicates so that is why i am asking you, the community, if anyone knows of a safe, free, reliable app or program I can use that wont erase everything or lock up and leave me pissed off and ready to throw the laptop across the room. And there are a lot of duplicates, cause when i ran the fix-it one it was like over 100,000 files it found. I believe thats what it said. now does that number include essential files too like the system and hard drive. i dont want to erase something that i will regret and end up with an 850.00 dollar paper weight. so please i ask you to give me the best advise out there cause i've had it up to my eyeballs messing with this money hog of a computer. I want to be able to enjoy it instead of have to throw money at it and hope all the problems magically go away. so then that brings up another issue. Programs that i've paid money for and found out that i didn't need and were removed by let's say someone who came in and patched up some errors i made. A tech person, now can I or is there a way to get that money refunded from these people. Two i believe caused my cpu to act up and one of those decided to currupt my microsoft account and that led me to lose even more money on other programs that were with that account. I am soo confused right now and hope you can understand what i'm saying and let me know if i'm S.O.L or if there options i can use. Thank you and sorry for such a long inquiry. 

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,816 30,708 3,072 7,584
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rbbm12

Sorry, but the simple fact of the matter is that there are no "safe" duplicate file remover utilities.

Why?

Because, in a perfect world, folks who develop apps for Windows, apps that need their own runtime libraries, would configure their installers to check to see if that library already exists as part of the installation.

But, they are lazy and do not do that, instead, preferring to install their OWN copy of that library so their app will work.

That creates a duplicate file situation.

IF you then remove that duplicate file, that app will no longer function, and since they most likely installed their own version, the ONLY way to then get that back would be to reinstall that app from scratch -- and then do any updates needed to make it current.

So, running ANY file remover comes with this same risk.

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
rbbm12
Author
Level 2
11 7 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you and yes that gave me some direction. Now instead of apps, what about files, do they fall under the same category? And then how about the product I bought, the fix-it professional. Will that take out files and apps indiscriminately also? I ask because I was thinking of instead of doing a mass removal that I would attempt smaller blocks if possible instead of waiting the hour to hour and a half for it to collect it's data and thus causing the program to time out on me. Oh well I guess there is only one way to find out right. So I am off to either piss myself off more or get it right. Lol, thank you again and blessings to you and yours. 

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,816 30,708 3,072 7,584
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm talking about removing files, not apps.

I don't know how that file remover works, as I don't trust ANY of them, but they just look for duplicate file entries across the entire C:  drive and then, in many cases, provide you a list of duplicate files and where each resides in the file system.

Some clues regarding files that apps use is that, in general, those files are written to folders the app uses, NOT to Windows\System32

So, if you remove files from a directory in AppData or in Program Files, or in Program Files (x86), then you're probably removing a file an app installer put there -- and should NOT then remove that.

You should NOT remove any files in directories under Windows.

The problem is that, unless you know FOR SURE that you will NEVER need a particular file, then it is not safe to remove it.

A SAFE file removal app will provide the ability to backup all files removed so that, they can be restored (individually) if you later find out you need them.

Still ... it's a lot of work, and a lot of risk, for very little gain.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation