cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TinkRbelle Top Student
Top Student
8 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Front USB port doesn't have enough power

I have Compaq Presario desktop model SR1103WM-NA430. When I plug a USB device into the front port I get an error message that there is not enough power for the device. It happens with devices such as my thumb drive, my digi camera, cell phone, and other types of small devices. It has worked fine in the past, but, as of a couple of months ago is stopped working. I have been trying to trouble shoot it based on various suggestions but, so far nothing works. I am hoping someone might have had a similar problem who could share their experience with me that might help resolve my problem.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost
Provost
28010 27540 1807 5032
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Go into Device Manager and locate the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  Look for the hubs and then open it up and look at the power TAB. Typically USB ports are limited to 500 ma but it's possible to overload the entire hub. Check each hub and see what you discover.  If you are using XP then this might not be available.  There is a bios update available for your PC that you might consider if you don't already have it installed.

Disconnect all of the USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse if they are USB.  Now try your thumb drive.

You might consider opening up your PC and remove and replace the USB connectors that are on the edge of the motherboard.  Sometimes connection points will develop into a high resistance connection and by removing and replacing the connector might make a better electrical connection whick permits more current flow.

The other thing that you can try is to buy a power hub which might work or a PCI USB port card.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
TinkRbelle Top Student
Top Student
8 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave,

Thank you very much for the information, I will give the suggestions you presented a try.

You time and help on this issue is truly appreciated. 🙂

0 Kudos
TinkRbelle Top Student
Top Student
8 3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Big_Dave,

Well...I have tried all the suggestions and still get the error message. I also cleaned everything inside and out with canned air and my computer vac, and nothing seemed to help. Even the simple little devices that little power triggered the error message. So, I am going to assume that the USB unit itself is no longer good. I now have a 7 port USB power hub that I will try out with my cell phone and camera and see it it will work with them. This will be using a USB port from the back, which, hopefully, should work OK.

Will let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
TinkRbelle Top Student
Top Student
8 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BTW....I'm a former Microsoft MVP - Internet Explorer - 2005-2008. Good to see there are some of us here in the HP groups as well.  🙂

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation