Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dan, it looks like you misunderstood something.

Many users don't know how much is possible with these OEM computers, so I just wanted to give two examples to show that the mentioned machines are much more upgradeable than their manuals say.

I have some experience, but as you can see, I still have to learn. What a great luck to have places like this one. I really apreciate your help and I understand that you have to be careful when supporting crazy guys like me modding their machines. So please, there is no need to be sorry, everything is fine.

Like I told you, every connection the system board needs is established and working.

----------------------    --------    ----------------

dc7700 PSU 365W - adapter - mainboard P1 (corrected wiring)

----------------------    --------    ----------------

------------ mainboard P3 (pinout equal to ATX standard)

----------------

It provides enough power to the system for everyday tasks.

My graphics cards consumes only a few watts in idle mode, so everything except gaming runs fine.

I double-checked the main connectors wiring, pin 20 is GND and there is nothing else missing apart from the front audio module. When attached to the Corsair, the system just shuts down after approx. one second without a LED beep code.

In many HP desktops, I've seen that the voltage for CPU is higher than 12 volts.
This makes me think there is another comparator circuit located near the VRMs that checks if input voltage is in the required range (reference could be some value between 12,4 and 12,8 volts).

My Corsair supply is able to deliver a serious amount of power on its single 12V rail. On the other hand, the voltage can drop below 12 volts, which is still safe for ATX compliant boards and even some HP desktop systems.

So my next step is to get a Delta DPS-475CB for being able to finally find out what makes this PSU so special.

Another question: do you know how to bypass the "front audio not connected" error ?

HP Recommended

Pin 10 on the audio header P23 is a cable detect.  Grounding this pin makes the system think the front audio cable is connected, and will not give the "front audio not connected" error.  (For reference, pin 7 is the key)

P23 pin 1 is GND.  Connecting a jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 10 will fool the system and it will not give the error. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

thank you once again, Dan.

HP Recommended

Resurrecting an old thread, but it may help as I've got a non HP PSU working on the xw4600 motherboard. I'm glad to find this because the motherboard is one of the very few that supports LGA775 processors, DDR2 ECC RAM and VT-d without crippling the PCI-e slots (the 3210 chipset cripples the PCI-e slots, VT-d doesn't work on some of Asus' motherboards and Intel's workstation X38 motherboards use DDR3 RAM).

I constructed the PSU cable adapter and plugged it into a Toughpower XT 775W power supply. This did not work - it had the exactly the same effect as before. Like gabornico's PSU, the XT is a high end PSU offering 65W on one 12V rail, 25A on +5V and 25A on +3.3v (0.5a -12v, 3A +5Vsb).

What does work is a Seasonic SS 600HT 600W power supply. Tried it with the adapter - will try without later, it'll probably work. I'm wondering if the determing factor whether it works or not is having multiple 12V rails each with a certain amperage, instead of one rail. 

The Seasonic offers 30A on +3.3V, 30A +5V, 18A +12V1, 18A +12V2, 0.8A -12V, 2A +5Vsb

A genuine HP PSU, the 475W DPS 475CB A is +5.1V 21A, +3V 15A, +12V 15A, +12V D 12A, 12V B17.5A, -12V 0.3A, +5VSb 2.25A

Note there is also the DPS 475CB-1 A from the Z400. 5.1V 21A, +3.3V 15A, +12V 17.5A, +12V D 18A, +12V D 17.5A, -12V 0.3A, +5Vsb 2.25A

Note that the latter is very close to what the Seasonic offers on the 12V rails. It's unlikely to be the supplying of 5.1V, as the Thermaltake does that too.

HP Recommended

thx for your message, and yes, the DPS-475 CB 1A is the best PSU for thexw4600 workstation.

After a lot of research and testing, I'm sure it's the POWER OK timing that causes the problem.

When my first xw4600 motherboard died last year, I decided to get another one and build it up with HP parts.

There are probably more PSUs out there on the market that can fire up the motherboard, but none of them will fit into the case.

HP Recommended

Joy, so its basically a matter of luck whether a supply works or not.. I thought I could get away running the Seasonic, but I want to put a GTX480 in the system (I'm only using the motherboard, not a whole system). 36A is the bare minimum to run everything I need to, never mind allowing for any PSU degradation over the last five years.

I'm going to go to a local computer supplies shop tomorrow and see if I can smile sweetly at them and keep trying PSUs until one works.

HP Recommended

..and at the moment it's a moot point anyway as VT-d is broken on this board - it reports an incorrect ACPI DMAR table if I boot Xen. Until I find a fix for that, it's a waste of my money to buy a new PSU.

HP Recommended

if your Seasonic PSU works you could give it a try.

My xw4600 workstation has the mentioned Z400 PSU and Radeon 7870 graphics card.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.