Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, Big_Dave

After reading your answer I'm thinking about buying a new PSU for my PC, since I plan to overclock the graphics card. I've searched a bit over the internet and the Corsair HX650W seems to meet the requirements, but i found a problem: the HX650W fan is located on the top of the PSU. The factory Delta PSU is located on the top of the PC case, leaving just about one cm(0,4 inch) to the top and the fan blows the air to the back side of the PC case, directly to the exterior. Is this a problem? If it is I have to find a PSU with the fan blowing the air to the back side of the PC case.

Cheers.

EDIT

Maybe my text is a little bit confusing. Here's an image that's easy to understand:

psen.png

HP Recommended

Ifbb73,

Nice photo!:smileyhappy:

I noticed the air vents holes at the top are the same as on my e9280t PC that has the Corsair HX650 PSU.  I mounted by Corsair fan up towards the top of the PC just like the orignial power supply.m  The Corsair will mount in either direction.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I recently ordered this desktop; HP P6674Y Pavilion Phenom Quad Core Desktop.

It is refurbished but the price was great for the specs, except for the video card. I play games so I want to add a medium to medium-high grade video card. In my research I've found I need to upgrade the PSU since this machine comes with a 250w PSU.

Is there a maximum wattage that I could upgrade too? One forum I found mentioned that there is a maximum on some computers where if you have too many watts it won't run.

I'd like to get a 600-650W PSU but don't want to order one only to find it won't work.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

PS, here are a bit more of the specs if needed.

Base Processor

• Phenom II X4-820 (D) 2.8 GHz (95W)
    - 4000 MHz HyperTransport 3.0
    - Socket AM3
  • Chipset: AMD 785G

Motherboard

• Manufacturer: Foxconn
  • Motherboard Name: H-ALVORIX_HF-RS880-uATX
  • HP/Compaq motherboard name: Alvorix-GL8E

Power Supply

• 250W

Memory

• Memory Installed: 6GB
  • Maximum Allowed: 
    - 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)
    - 4 GB (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS) Actual available memory may be less
  • Speed Supported: PC3-10600 MB/sec
  • Type: 240 pin, DDR3

Hard Drive

• TB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
  • 7200 rpm
HP Recommended

Hi a4scott,

You should open up your PC and measure the physical dimensions of your power supply.  Here is a list of things to consider:

1. Specifications
  2. Total wattage - important
  3. 12+ volt amperage rating - important
  4. Modular - not mandatory but I like the flexibility
  5. Warranty
  6. i7 and SLI ready
  7. Efficiency rating
  8. Cost
  9. Physical size -- standard ATX PSU is 5.5" by 5.9" by 3.4" give or take a few tenths
  10. A single 12+ volt rail is a better choice.

www.newegg.com has lots of PSUs choices.  Corsair, OCZ, Rosewill, Thermaltake.....

The Corsair CX600 or the HX650 are excellent power supplies.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi can someone help me with power supply for HP g5210uk it has already 300W power suplly. But I want to put a new graphic card and it require 450W power supply. I am thinking to put 500W power suply but I dount now which is suitable for me HP g5210uk ???

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

These HP "how-to" articles should be helpful.

What graphics card are you considering?

Review the ATI and NVIDIA performance specifications. Look at the memory bandwidth specifications and the DirectX level support.

HP Recommended

Tom,

You should be good to go. Open up your PC and make sure that everything that you are buying will fit.  The slot adjacent to the PCI-E x16 slot needs to be vacant.

My only concern is making sure that your video card will get all the need amperage off the PCI-E power connector.  I prefer single rail power supplies.

HP Recommended

All slots are free. Can you tell me more about this your reply "My only concern is making sure that your video card will get all the need amperage off the PCI-E power connector.  I prefer single rail power supplies. " ?

THANKS.

HP Recommended

Hi Tom,

Review this post.

Review this link on single rail and then to be fair this link on multiple rail power supplies.  There is always going to be a debate over single rail verses multiple rail power supplies.  Some manufacturers make both types.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.