Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (4,850 Views)

HP Compaq DX2300 - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, all ram not usable

I got this problem. 4GB RAM installed, 2.75GB usable with 64-bit Windows 7. I have a PNY GT240 (512MB GDDR5) graphics card installed. My installed BIOS version is 1.08 from May 2007. I know there were a few more updates issued after that one. The 1.14 is the latest update for my machine, according to the HP support website.

However, that site lists Vista 32-bit and XP operating systems as the supported ones. No word about Windows 7. Should I update the BIOS? It would be nice to have all 4GB usable by Windows 7 64-bit because I use Adobe CS 5.5 Design Premium software on this machine and I really need all RAM memory I can get.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (4,831 Views)

Re: HP Compaq DX2300 - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, all ram not usable

Hi:

I would not risk flashing the BIOS using Windows 7 (even 32 bit) as it is not a supported operating system for flashing the BIOS using the windows based flash.

I looked at the BIOS setup manual and I don't see an option to update the BIOS directly from the BIOS menu using DOS flash files.

No, I would not risk it at all.

The reason you are not seeing all 4 GB of memory with your system is due to the system board's maximum capacity of 4 GB of memory (2 x 2GB).

If the motherboard had 4 slots and could address up to 8 GB of memory, you would be able to utilize all 4 GB that you have installed.

The chipset can address up to 8 GB of memory but again with a max capacity of 4 GB limited by the motherboard, the rest of your memory is being reserved for hardware/video.

There is a video memory setting in the BIOS you can change, but I do not know if that will make any difference since you have an add-on video card.

Paul

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (4,821 Views)

"There is a video memory setting in the BIOS you can change, but I do not know if that will make any difference since you have an add-on video card."

Do you know where that setting is?

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (4,818 Views)

Hi:

Please see the BIOS setup guide at the link below and refer to page 5.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00872978/c00872978.pdf

MAX DVMT Allocation

Specify the size of DVMT/system memory to allocate for video memory:

64MB

128MB

224MB

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation